UltravioletPhotography

A Bird's eye view (PhD)

Jim Lloyd

I received the news yesterday that my application for funding to support a PhD was successful :D :D :D (fees plus stipend plus access to other funds)

The title is "A Bird’s Eye View: a multi-media arts practice investigation into avian perception."

and the summary of the submitted proposal:

"This research will investigate the ways in which a multi-media arts practice (incorporating video, sound, photography, and installation) can be critically informed by avian modes of perception. By drawing upon practice-based animal studies, bio-neurology, ecology and philosophy, this research will thus represent the perceptual world of birds in ways that question anthropomorphic perceptual models, narrative experience and understandings of the environment."

An important element of this will be UV photograhy

I will be studying in the Fine Art Dept at Newcastle University - where I did my MFA last year.

Officially start date is October this year, but really will be a continuum with what I am doing now.

I will post updates here of particular interest to the UV photography community (hopefully ...)

Only just noticed after typing this that Steve has started a topic with the same title and provided some very useful links - Thanks Steve I will have a look at those. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2640-birds-eye-view/

So cool to hear about !!! We will all be excited to hear about your studies and projects as you work on your degree.

(Andrea now goes on a ramble......)

Years ago I rented a room to an art student (painter & collage maker) studying for his Master of Fine Arts at U. of California-Davis (where I taught math for a while). This MFA was considered a professional degree in studio art, the actual making of art -- something beyond the Master of Art for which one studies art history or museum practices, etc. -- but not quite like a PhD. At that time there was no PhD in studio art offered in the US. Don't know about now, things could have changed.

Anyway it was quite fascinating to watch these folks go through the program culminating in a big art show of their work at the U museum. That was their equivalent of the PhD dissertation - producing enough good work to fill their museum space. There was quite a good art scene around San Fransisco at the time also. Thiebaud and Arneson both taught at UCD back then. (Nauman studied at UCD Art, probably one of their more well-known students.) There were some great parties, I'll tell you for sure!

Near the end of the two (or was it 3?) years, when my art student ran out of money and couldn't pay rent anymore, I accepted some art works in lieu. Still have them and love them.

Thanks Andrea

The different art degrees are a bit confusing. MA - 1 year; MFA - 2 year; PhD - 3 year

MFA used to be the highest qualification, but in recent years practice based PhDs have been introduced in the UK. There is some debate about these, but they are about making art predominately. Generally there is a short written component (30,000 words, compared to 80-100 000 in traditional PhD) plus practical element - typically a show or series of shows.

Ill keep you posted !