UltravioletPhotography

keeping gear in order ?

Jim Lloyd

Being tidy is not in my DNA? Number of lenses, cameras, adapters, filters etc etc I own is increasing and I need to move on from shoe boxes and oddments of bubble wrap ! I wonder what systems others use to keep all their gear under control?
To be honest, it's ridiculous the number of battery chargers I have too. It would be simpler if the manufacturers (Nikon in my case) would just standardize a battery charger, kind of like the aftermarket ones that offer interchangeable plates for different batteries. Then of course Nikon would loose out on selling the latest required battery charger for high output batteries.

I use wooden drawer units from Ikea (Moppe) They are excellent and fit all my filters, adapters, lenses etc. Around 15GBP per unit. I hate the Ikea shopping "experience" but makes a trip worthwhile!

As an aside, Ikea do some superb LED lights on the end of flexible goose necks -

JANSJÖ cheap and excellent for small object photography.

post-47-0-92302500-1520933895.jpg

I use wooden drawer units from Ikea (Moppe) They are excellent and fit all my filters, adapters, lenses etc. Around 15GBP per unit. I hate the Ikea shopping "experience" but makes a trip worthwhile!

As an aside, Ikea do some superb LED lights on the end of flexible goose necks -

JANSJÖ cheap and excellent for small object photography.

That looks nice , em . nearest IKEA to me would be Southampton , only 45minutes away

Daryll

I have a lot of plastic stackable drawers and storage bins similar to the ones shown on this link.

https://www.containe...rage-drawers/12

But it does become overwhelming! There is so much STUFF associated with Uv photography!

For filters I use these OpTech zippered "accessory packs". Each filter is stored in a labeled box so it is easy to grab the ones needed for a particular shooting session.

https://optechusa.co...ssory-pack.html

I also use those OpTech packs for lens storage. All my UV capable and UV dedicated lenses fit into these packs for storage. They are not hard-sided though, so care is needed during transport.

Snipshot:

DSC_0001pn.jpg

I keep all small bits and pieces in a well organised way in the drawers of an old office desk, which is also utilised as a bench top studio. All optical equipment, including lenses, bodies, flashes and UV&IR filters are stored in a camera cabinet under controlled humidity. Additionally, a few book shelves are stacked with shoe and file boxes as well.

I also prepared an inventory of all photography related equipment I have with their specifications, particularly thread sizes and optical path lengths of filters, tubes and converters.

Over the years, in demanding work environments, I had to be well organised to be able to cope with dozens of things I daily used to handle.post-181-0-09466900-1521094483.jpg

post-181-0-92009200-1521094520.jpg

I have a lot of plastic stackable drawers and storage bins similar to the ones shown on this link.

https://www.containe...rage-drawers/12

But it does become overwhelming! There is so much STUFF associated with Uv photography!

For filters I use these OpTech zippered "accessory packs". Each filter is stored in a labeled box so it is easy to grab the ones needed for a particular shooting session.

https://optechusa.co...ssory-pack.html

I also use those OpTech packs for lens storage. All my UV capable and UV dedicated lenses fit into these packs for storage. They are not hard-sided though, so care is needed during transport.

Snipshot:

post-4-0-44925100-1521048549.jpg

Oh my lord, I think I need to go and lie down now after seeing that collection of filters..... Thanks for the link on the bags. I've just received one of the smaller 8" Optech bags, and have ordered another. Very handy little storage bags for filters and small lenses.

Oh my lord, I think I need to go and lie down now after seeing that collection of filters.....

You will have your own version of this collection soon enough. I didn't think I should be running a UV-photography website without some extensive experience with various UV filters and lenses and cameras and lights and........ One bit led to another. Very enjoyable however. I've loved every minute of it.

Yes, the Op Tech gear is nice. I also like their hand straps very much.

I did one time have a case whose lining detatched right away, and they immediately sent a replacement. I never mind if such things happen if it is handled well. (Has never happened since.)

It's very enjoyable to see other folks' workspaces & gear. :D :D :D