•  

Recent Advances in Tomato Imaging Technology

Multispectral
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 00:51

Okay, as usual I'm just having a little fun with the title of this post. But there is a bit of truth in it, at least for me personally. In the multispectral set below I revisit the tomato, this time along with a bit of vine attached. Before writing this post, I went and looked back at a past post of mine wherein I presented a tomato in multiple wavebands (http://www.ultraviol...dpost__p__14439). By comparison it appears to me that I've made some progress in my imaging technique. I know there's always room for improvement, and I have plenty to learn still, but I'm happy to see that I'm at least making progress (at least IMO). I hope you enjoy seeing my multispectral posts as much as I enjoy shooting them. With that, I'll start this set as usual with the VIS reference image here.
Attached Image: 2018-03-10_00-40-34_flash_kvhm-420lp.jpg

Before shooting this set I rinsed these tomatoes to clean any dust/etc off them. I then gently shook off the water, and brushed of a few remaining drops with my fingers. I didn't expect to see finger smudges in this UV shot though! (my hands were clean as well). In this image there are still a few water drops which haven't dried off yet.
Attached Image: 2018-03-10_00-38-22_s2_0340.jpg

And wouldn't you know, even though I rinsed them off, the lint in the air still almost immediately found its way to my subject (probably, being wet made the lint/dust stick even more...).
Attached Image: 2018-03-10_00-43-27_mte_baader-kv450.jpg

Because IR images (of fruits/veggies) tend not to impress me, I need to find a new approach to shooting such images in IR. Maybe bisecting and back-lighting the subject?
Attached Image: 2018-03-10_00-53-21_940led_r72.jpg

Aside from the glow in this UVIIF image, I also like how it reflects off the dark skin of the fruit.
Attached Image: 2018-03-10_00-55-07_mte_r72.jpg

Hardware (all images): Lens: 78 mm UV8040BK, Body: Nikon D750 N1404 [broadband]
Snack: glass of Malbec + bowl of popcorn [classy]
Now Playing: Ain't No Sunshine [Bill Withers]

#2 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:12

The UVIIF there is spectacular. In the UVIVF, I think the dust makes the image nicer, even if it is a "contaminant."

I'd love to see how those tomatoes would do with IR backlighting from, say, a penlight on the bottom. There is a possibility you might be able to see some internal structure that way.

Edited by Andy Perrin, 11 March 2018 - 03:14.

#3 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 6,602 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 18:02

For this tomato, the "plain" IR image is a striking B&W tonal composition. When presented together with the more colourful UV-induced fluor fotos, we often don't engage our Black & White eye and might miss the beauty in certain IR work.

I often feel that the straightforward reflected UV photographs are those only a mother could love. :lol: They fascinate me personally but less so esthetically than botanically.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.