•  

Look at this honey.

Multispectral
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 23:11

No, I'm not addressing anyone here with such a term of endearment. What I mean is look at this... this teaspoon of honey :).

Things started out roughly as I would have guessed, moving from UV to VIS to IR this honey went from dark/opaque, to its normal color, to relatively transparent/translucent.
Attached Image: uv-vis-ir_honey_tryptch.jpg
Left to right: UV / VIS / IR

The induced fluorescence offered a surprise though. First let me just point out that the UVIVF image has a hint of pink'ish color in it which I did not see by eye (typical result from using a Baader UV/IR cut filter). The first of the two UVIIF images below I shot through an R72 - my usual UVIIF filter. The second UVIIF image I shot just out of curiosity using a longer wavelength cut-on filter, as I sometimes do just to see if there happens to be any IR fluorescence further out than the R72 will capture. Of the many subjects I've shot, I almost never find any IR fluorescence beyond the range of the R72. Except here, as shot through an 830 nm cut-on filter. And not only is it there, but it even had a relatively strong signal (relative to any other UVIIF image I've tried to capture this far out into IR). Interesting stuff.
Attached Image: uvivf-uviif1-uviif2_honey_tryptch.jpg
Left to right: UVIVF / UVIIF.1 / UVIIF.2

Hardware (all images): Lens: 50 mm Nikon Series E + 12 mm extension, Body: Nikon D750 N1404 [broadband]
Image editing support: Streaming radio [random mix] + hot chocolate [with mini-marshmallows]

#2 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 23:30

Quite interesting. Now I wonder if different kinds of honey might fluoresce a bit differently?

Noting the nice f/11 specular star in the UV photo. These stars bring happiness.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#3 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:14

Now I wonder if different kinds of honey might fluoresce a bit differently?
Since pollen fluoresces, and one of the ways that people classify honey is by the pollen, I would expect quite a bit of variation. One might even anticipate that filtered honey (which is frowned on, because it makes it untraceable...) would fluoresce less than unfiltered.