UltravioletPhotography

Greetings from Germany

Oliver Krohn

Hello,

I am from Duesseldorf area, Germany. My interest in UV photography is both, professional and private. I work as a BTA in an institute (biology, sensory ecology) at the university of Duesseldorf and since we have a focus on pollination, we use UV photography for quite a long time, as well as spectroscopy (reflectance) and thermography. Before, I worked in ecophysiology (tuna breeding) as well as in cell culture / molecular biology (hairy root cultures of Linum spec.) and molecular biotechnology (pharmaceutical antibodies cloned into plants, Fraunhofer Institute / RWTH Aachen).

Since I have several interests, I spend a lot of my spare-time with very different projects, from manipulating Jura coffeemakers with microcontrollers to growing oyster mushrooms and making fruit wine and more. I was thinking about modifying my own camera (GH3) for years, but never did it so far. Yesterday, finally, I ordered a helicoid and some adapters as well as an enlarger lens (Rodenstock Trinar 75/4,5, simply because it was available for a few bucks only). What I need next, are various filters (UV bandpass, UV/IR cut, IR bandpass etc.) and a good 365 nm flashlight, equipped with filter (ZWB1?). I am still studying flashlights, since it's not easy to find a good and cheap one with an wide even spot without spill. But I am sure there is a hint / recommendation somewhere in this forum. Found out, that there are programmable microcontrollers on the driver boards of flashlights, since I wanted to repair an old (but good) one and would have needed to get rid of the modes of the available cheap China driver boards. In the end I decided to simply buy a new one. Anyway, the thrilling part will be the modification of the camera. I found the technical manual and a tutorial for the conversion of a G3, which should help. I am not yet sure, if I should buy a second body for modification or not.

The image shows a flower of Ceropegia sandersonii in UVIVF. I used a GH2 equipped with Baader UV-/IR-cut filter and a 365 nm flashlight with Baader-U..

Regards,

Oliver

post-183-0-09091600-1518457956.jpg

Admin's note 27 March, 2018: Oliver asked for the first image to be removed (publishing rights)

Welcome! Gorgeous images, and I think we overlap in our interests quite a bit. I'm also into thermography, and I like to tinker.

UV bandpass

If you don't get a dedicated UV filter (e.g. Baader), don't forget you need to block the IR leaks from most filter glasses!

Welcome! Gorgeous images, and I think we overlap in our interests quite a bit. I'm also into thermography, and I like to tinker.

Nice! Microcontrollers offer so many possibilities. I once thought about a filter wheel for a Rasperry Pi NoIR camera, but didn't get cheap, suitable filters at that time and lost focus later. Additionally, the Pi NoIR cam has only little UV sensitivity. But I thought it would be nice to mount it on two servos as a nodal point adaptor and make photospheres even inside of (very large) flowers. :D However, what I can say, is that the Logitech C230 webcam has a much better UV sensitivity than the Pi NoIR cam, but only older models allow removal of the cut filter. I would be interested in cheap webcams suitable for UV, although the image quality is poor, compared to a image from a DSLR or system camera.

post-183-0-27872300-1518510735.jpg

If you don't get a dedicated UV filter (e.g. Baader), don't forget you need to block the IR leaks from most filter glasses!
Yes, I am aware of that problem. Indoors it should not be a problem with UV 365 nm only. Maybe I can get another lens for outdoor use over time. Of course, I have to use a Baader-U or comparable Hoya-Filter or stack different filters, when shooting outdoors on a sunny day.

Hello Oliver and welcome to UVP! I hope you enjoy the website. We have lots of posts about UV torches -- use the UV Lighting tag to find them.

UV Lighting