UltravioletPhotography

Yellow water-lily in visible, UV and IR

Lasse Y

One thing I like in UV and IR photography is how different the images can be in UV and IR. For me the yellow water-lily is not the interesting part of these images, actually the plant in the images could be any plant. What makes these images interesting is how they illustrate the difference of the light geometry in UV and IR alongside the huge difference of reflectance of vegetation in UV and IR wavelengths. In UV we see the water surface and in IR the plant seems to float in the air.

Sony NEX-6, UV-Nikkor, filters: Baader UV/IR Cut, Baader U-2, Hoya R72,

in IR and UV the red channel is used for the black and white image.

Visible

post-182-0-70217900-1518209327.jpg

UV

post-182-0-30249300-1518209331.jpg

IR

post-182-0-74174900-1518209329.jpg

Well that is a new rendition of UV for me! It looks almost like you did an emboss filter in Photoshop (not saying you did, just that's the general visual effect).

I'd say the UV rendition is just what would be expected. To compare, here is a White Water lily (Nymphaea alba) in b/w UV. Ignore the flower for the time being and look at the overall UV image.

I1106043785.jpg

The light water was not surprising to me, but my experience with plants has been that the leaves are usually dark and glossy, more like the flower in nfoto’s picture.

Foliage of aquatic plants behave differently in UV compared to most terrestrial species.

Aquatic floating leaves might have epidermal structures (trichomes) to reduce wetting. Maybe that could explain their higher UV reflectance?