•  

Tomatillo trio

Multispectral
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 23:23

I finally remembered to grab more than just ONE of my test-subjects-to-be during my last visit to the supermarket (so I can capture multiple views per shot). Shown below across a multispectral set of 5, this tomatillo gave me a nice show under my lights/lens/filters/etc. And it also presented a little surprise of its own.

Lets start with a VIS view of the subject, for reference:
Attached Image: 2018-02-03_19-02-43.jpg
(Front left: unpeeled/husk intact, Front right: bisected, Rear middle: husk removed)

Looking at the UV image, save for some of the fruit's flesh it turns mostly UV dark inside and out - especially those seeds!
Attached Image: 2018-02-03_18-59-12.jpg

Technically speaking, I summarize my findings on this UVIVF image as: So cool! There. I said it. And I stand by my findings 99.846%.
Attached Image: 2018-02-03_19-05-54.jpg

This IR showing isn't as drab as I'm accustomed to, given the nice subtle blue hue in the husk - though not enough to impress me much.
Attached Image: 2018-02-03_19-09-01.jpg

Now, not only do I like the results of this UVIIF image, but there's a curious thing going on here. Notice the base of the cut stem on the fruit in the background. In this image it is dark. I'm a little surprised by this, because by comparison that same area is bright (or at least bright'ish [again, another technical term ;)]) in all of the other images.
Attached Image: 2018-02-03_19-13-14.jpg

Hardware (all images): Lens: 50 mm Nikon Series E + 12 mm extension, Body: Nikon D750 N1404 [broadband]

Edited by Mark, 07 February 2018 - 23:25.

#2 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 17:31

Isn't is just odd/cool that the huskless green tomatillo looks like its red tomato cousins when photographed under black light?

This is a beautiful study.

When I lived out in California I saw lots of tomatillos grown in home gardens, but I never learned how you could tell when they are ripe. :) It is probably that the husk gets papery? I'm going to go look that up.

ADDED: For those eagerly awaiting the answer: Select tomatillos that are still bright green, but with husks that have turned tan and papery. Once the fruit turns yellow, it's overripe and has lost its flavor.
http://homeguides.sf...llos-41568.html
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#3 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:00

It is quite fascinating. If you convert the UV to the Lab color space and tighten up the a and b channels, you can see some color inside, which makes me wonder if it would be a bit more (naturally) colorful under a broadband source:

(convert to 16 bit, convert to Lab, tighten a and b channel histograms, convert back to RGB and save as JPG)
Attached Image: mark lab.jpg

Edited by Andy Perrin, 02 March 2018 - 02:01.