UltravioletPhotography

Greetings fom Finland!

Lasse Y

Hello everyone!

I have a background in engineering (M.Sc. Tech.) and I have been working with UV for a while, mainly with measurements and informing people about the risks of UV.

At some time ago I started to wonder how the world looks in UV. Bjørn Rørslett’s web-page “All You Ever Wanted to Know About Digital UV and IR Photography, But Could Not Afford to Ask” was a great inspiration source that finally convinced me to try out UV photographing.

I started with unmodified Nikon D70s and for the lens I went straight for the dedicated lens and bought an UV-Nikkor. Recently I upgraded my camera to self-modified Sony NEX-6 (infrared filter removed). At the same time I started also IR and UV induced visible light photographing.

I do like my UV and IR photos in black and white so my after processing of images is quite simple. For UV I split to image to RGB and use the red channel as it is the most sensitive to UV. After this I adjust the brightness if needed and that’s it. For the processing I use Corel Paintshop Pro.

For me UV photography is a discovery trip to the invisible where surprises can be found anywhere. I do take photos of various subjects mainly following “I wonder how that looks in UV?” principle. I have shown some UV images to colleagues and this lead to a paper in BAMS (Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society): https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/BAMS-D-14-00260.1 .

Best regards, Lasse Y.

Heartedly welcome Lasse. Looking forward to your contributions.

UVP as a community must have an amazing density of UV-Nikkors ??? (I have 2, Andrea 1; members taken together several more).

Welcome to UVP, Lasse. I hope you enjoy the forum!

Have you thought about aquiring a modified monochrome camera for UV given that you enjoy the black & white style?