UltravioletPhotography

Winter jasmin

Jim Lloyd

Still a work in progress, but I am pleased with this image and new (old) lens. Got to work on allowing for focal difference. Probably should have stopped down a bit more ..

I know this as Winter Jasmine, although not sure if that the proper name.

D3200 converted

UG1 2mm + BG40 2mm

Daylight

Soligor 28 mm f/2.8

f/4

10 seconds

100 ASA

Visible then UV image

post-175-0-05553900-1517586493.jpg

post-175-0-85772600-1517586522.jpg

I think you've "got it" for standardized UV file processing! Now you have a baseline from which to work in any direction you want to take this. :D

I don't know this flower, but it is pretty.

Thanks Andrea - see here

Steve, I am doing WB all in Lightroom. Using a calibration file given to me by the guy who did the camera conversion (UVIRcameras on ebay), I dont fully understand what it does, but it shifts the WB into the right ballpark so you can then use the WB eye dropper. I picked an light grey area on the rock. I don't think Lightroom allows you to pick a large area, only the eye dropper point, but it seems to work well with a little bit of searching for the optimum spot. Auto WB control doesn't work even after applying the calibration file. This method is good though as the calibration can be applied on import and you dont have to think about it after that. Nikon view NX also does a good jiob, but adds a step to the workflow.

I find using the monochrome option in Live view quite good, although getting the camera to WB would be good. I have tried with the instructions you provided, but I cant get it to work. For the D3200 with a non CPU lens, the only option available is manual. I can get the right exposure settings by trial and error in manual, but every time I try the in-camera WB it gives an error for UV (UG1 2mm + BG40 2 mm, full spectrum conversion). I can get this to work fine with just the BG40 filter. So I dont know what is going wrong. Today is a very grey day here and maybe the quality of the light is not good enough. I will try again when it is brighter.

Nothing is going wrong, Jim. Nikon DSLRs do not all have the capability to white balance through a UV-pass filter. Yes, it is possible with some Niks to get a WB. With others, no. May depend on the filter. May depend on the amount of light. Hard to say without trying the experiment with many filters under many conditions.

Try this instead. Remove all filters and perform the white balance measure against the grass or the sky. That will give you a WB more useable than Auto or Incandescent. I'll go run this test meself to verify and will report back later.

Question: Have you been seeing any more of those little white pinpoints in your fotos, Jim?

See, and I like the rock. You think I'm missing the flowers for the lichen or something, Andrea?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the rock too. Lichens are interesting in UV. Actually in this foto the focus landed on the rock so it does get noticed first.

Thanks Andrea

Re the pinpoints - yes sometimes, but not others. I am not sure exactly under what conditions they occur. They definitely didn't occur when I was using 100 ASA with in camera noise reduction, monochrome on the live view and good exposure time. I think the in camera noise reduction is good, although I have tended not to use it for visible, so not sure if that's relevant. I will try and work out when it occurs and when it doesn't and let you know.

My main concern is that your Ebay vendor who converted the camera did a proper job of it.

I find using the monochrome option in Live view quite good, although getting the camera to WB would be good. I have tried with the instructions you provided, but I cant get it to work. For the D3200 with a non CPU lens, the only option available is manual. I can get the right exposure settings by trial and error in manual, but every time I try the in-camera WB it gives an error for UV (UG1 2mm + BG40 2 mm, full spectrum conversion). I can get this to work fine with just the BG40 filter. So I dont know what is going wrong. Today is a very grey day here and maybe the quality of the light is not good enough. I will try again when it is brighter.

You are referring to Bob and Shane's 'scene preferred white balance'?

I have not been able to get that method to work with UV either, however, Bob says it works for him, so it may have something to do with the camera model, I don't know, but thought it was worth a try.

Perhaps Bob or Shane would be good to ask.

That method does work with a lot of out-of-visual filters, which would never white balance in camera for me before.

The BG40 is a visual filter, so it will work for that.

I have tried with several UV stacks, and Baader U, and I can't get it to work for any of those.