UltravioletPhotography

Need Energy - Long Winter

Andrea B.

I'm out of energy! Long cold winter -- the usual complaint on the US upper Atlantic coast towards the end of January with much more winter left to go. That's my handy excuse, anyway, for avoiding big tasks. For years now I have wanted to classify the UV-signatures in our botanical section in some way. Does the flower have a UV-dark central bullseye? Is it overall UV-absorbing or UV-reflective? How does a flower's UV-signature compare to its visible colours? But everytime I think about trying to do this Really Big Task I give up before I start. :rolleyes: Then there is the question of how to record and display this kind of classification. It would be cool if I could use a search tag to find, for example, all of the red UV-reflective flowers or all the blue flowers with a UV-dark bullseye. Well, someday, someday.

It would probably be of much more use to our members and readers if I were to update the Lens Sticky instead of classifying UV-signatures!!

Fortunately I have had a bit of energy for updating our Wildflower indices. And will soon tackle updating the Techniques and Tests index. I've managed to add some HTML table formatting to the output when I SQL query the DB for an index. This makes the output a lot easier to display for any index. Any of you who have ever played around with SQL know that one little comma in the wrong place wreaks major destruction in a multiple-union-join-select-within-select-tiered-wheres kind of query -- like all of the queries I need to run to make indexes. Kindly note that if you have recently experienced any delay when accessing a UVP page it might have been because I've been hitting on the database way too much. Should ease up fairly soon though.

Spring, please. Soon. B)

P.S. indices or indexes......I'm voting for "indexes". Nobody learns Latin anymore. :P