UltravioletPhotography

Neewer AD200 Flash for UV Imaging

Cadmium

enricosavazzi
The AD200 does work with a variety of flash tubes, even with some tubes quite different from the original. I tested for example a quartz (!) rectilinear tube from xenonflashtubes.com. TTL exposure may not be completely spot-on with some third-party tubes (impedance is too different I guess), but by and large, even in the worst case, with those I tested it was off by less than one stop.

Thanks, Cadmium, for this link. That Neewer AD200 is quite nice! And thanks to Boon for a good write-up about the Neewer on his website. I quite like his set-up with the Neewer flash trigger.

I don't understand one thing -- "bare bulb"?? Does that mean there is no glass of any kind over the flash bulb? What if it shatters while in use?

Boon shows a photo on his page which is a "Bare bulb comparison: AD200 in its bulb head on the left and the Quantum T5DR on the right"

http://myphotojourne...01/DSC08781.jpg

Those style of bulbs seem to have some kind of glass surround that protects the flash tube.

Quantum T5DR bulb on B&W.

https://www.bhphotov..._Flashtube.html

I think Quantum has some adapter with 67mm filter threads also.

I don't know if any of the reflectors and other attachments might be interchangeable between those brands.

Quantum's web site is not responding at the moment for me,

http://www.qtm.com/

but I copied this text off the Google cache text only version:

"The QF80 Reflector replaces the standard reflector included with the Quantum Qflash and permits mounting 67mm threaded filters to produce narrow or broad band wavelengths of flash illumination from Ultraviolet to visible to Infrared. The illumination bands can range from non-visible Ultraviolet (350-400nm) to visible to non-visible Infrared 700nm and above."

I don't see a bulb listed on B&W for the AD200.

(note: seems the Newer and Godox bands are the same thing?)

https://www.bhphotov...Top+Nav-Search=

So a reflector would be protective?

Not as such. The reflector does however distribute the light better and more efficiently.

Flash tubes do explode on occasion. Not a commonly occurring disaster, but bad if it happens. That is why flash tubes should always be used with a protective glass cover.

A 'bare bulb' light by being a near point-light source, makes a harsh lighting but concomitantly maximises image detail sharpness.

Thank you Boon!

Boon has sent me these photos of his flash reflector filter adapter. This is for 67mm filters.

Taking this idea a bit further in my mind, it seems like using a larger filter adapter attached to the reflector might be better, because it could move the filter further from the flash bulb,

as well as increasing reflected light area.

NOTE: Also filter spacers could be used to move a filter further out away from the bulb, without even increasing the diameter, but a combination of spacers and step up rings might be a handy mix as well.

Boon says the inside edge of rim of the reflector is about 112mm in diameter.

Such a filter holder could be used to mount a protecting clear filter, or other UV only stacks for UVIVF for example.

I have no idea what the heat factor would be for the filters in these situations. I have not heard of any problems with U-340 + S8612 stacks on the Canon 199a flash,

however, there may be a difference with these.

AD200 bulb:

post-87-0-61498700-1516692436.jpg

T5DR bulb:

post-87-0-22943900-1516692447.jpg

aha! I see how it all goes now!! Thank you to Boon for supplying the photos of the filter adapter.

btw, I wrote to Boon to say hello and to make sure it was ok to permanently reference his Neewer blog post in our Sticky. Always better to inquire than to assume! "-) I'll try to get a Neewer AD200 in there soon as it seems to me to be a very nice solution to UV illumination needs. I am wanting to try this very much myself as I also think that being able to do TTL would be useful.

Well, this topic and content was mutually agreed to by Boon and I before I posted any of his links and content, permission given from the start.

I am guessing and hoping you extended an invitation to him to join here and post.

Boon was a very active and valued contributor in the UV/IR forums on Nikongear (Fotozones) before this board was started.

Boon is a great guy, and very smart about all this, and would be very good to have included again in this community.

However, I never mind linking to his tests and posting them here when he shares with me and approves.

He finds many interesting things, and I miss his input in these forums.

Personally, I think I would get a couple reflectors, and cut round filters to fit the front outside diameter and just tape them on.

Then change the reflectors for whatever need.

That way you get a larger reflected ares, and the filter glass is the furthest away from the bulb.

The take is low tech, easy to do.

I am guessing and hoping you extended an invitation to him to join here and post.

Many year ago and also in the recent email. I think he is busy with his own website and work these days. :)