UltravioletPhotography

Buff Einstein 640 for UV? uncoated tubes?

Daniel Geiger

Daniel Geiger

I try to explore some more options re UV lights. I have a Paul C Buff Einstein 640 and wonder whether there are third part un-coated tubes for UV imaging fitting that unit. Checked with Buff, but they don't have any, but have some for older flashes still as old stock. Their best suggestion is to take the glass protection dome off and take what I can get. I have an aluminum bowl reflector to focus all light and avoids spillage as much as possible.

I saw this post

http://www.ultraviol...ch__1#entry9575

Discusses the Einstein 640, but not sure about which tube was used. Any experiments whether relative UV output is better at low or high power setting?

And yes, it is a 640 Ws light source, so very important to use eye and skin protection (plus remote trigger).

Removing the glass protection dome is a risky measure. It is there for good reasons. If the flash tube blows up, shards of glass will be violently distributed.

For my Brons, uncoated xenon tubes are readily available and for some of the flash units, uncoated domes as well.

There are third-party makers of xenon flash tubes and some of these can deliver uncoated units. If memory serves, one of the better sources are regularly on eBay (he is located in Israel). I'm using one of his 400 Ws uncoated xenon tubes on a spare flash unit, no problems.

Finding the optimal reflector for your studio flash is a trial-and-error process. The size of the subject and the distance between flash and subject all are important parameters. With my Brons, wide-angle reflectors tend to produce the maximum output for medium short distance (