UltravioletPhotography

Good morning and a Happy New Year from southern Germany

markus_i

Hello everyone,

another German here. As you may have guessed from my user name, my name is Markus and I live in southern Germany. I'm (another...) physicist by training and work as a software developer for an automotive OEM.The oldest pictures that I took and still have around are from 40 years ago (not attached). I haven't done any invisible photography yet, but came across your forums (and Klaus' website...) while looking for some information about converting my old camera to IR.

Well, all the stuff I found so far led me to having that camera (EOS M) converted to full spectrum instead of IR, and I already have acquired one lens (Steinheil 40 mm). Everything else (including the camera) is still on its way.

But all that reading led me to another question: has anybody yet tested (measured?) the Russian Industar 50-2 lens yet? They're cheap and easily available, and someone also put it up in one of the stickies as a promising candidiate, but that's all I could find so far.

Since I don't have any UV/IR pictures yet, have one of one of my cats instead. No, she's not permitted on the table or inside the bread basket usually.

post-177-0-29264200-1515065855.jpg

Hello Markus and welcome to UVP. We hope you find the site enjoyable and useful.

I had to laugh at seeing Kitty in the basket. Mine have done this very thing. Anything cozy to curl up in is fair game.

If you use the Lens search tag you might find something else about the Industar 50/2. Link: UV Lens

The old Nikon enlarger lenses might be a good choice for you? They can be fairly easily adapted to the correct flange focal distance for the Canon using a helicoid adapter of appropriate size.

Welcome to UVP. Interesting choice of camera for UV use. Do post your findings as you put the camera to good use.

Hey Markus,

a friendly welcome :) I have alos bought a fullspectrum converted EOS-M a few month ago. I´m looking forward to your first results.

Long time ago I removed the coating on top of the front- and back-lens of this Industar by polishing in a lab, but failed to make a comparison with a coated copy.

Regards, Martin

addendum:

Grüße aus der Nürnbeger Ecke :)

Andrea, Andy, Bjørn - thank you.

Andrea, I couldn't find anything much regarding that lens, even with that tag. Maybe once I have found out how this stuff basically works I'll chance the 25 Euros and try it for myself - but don't hold your breath. For the time being, I'll start off with that Steinheil - according to Klaus' blog, that one should do the job.

Bjørn, definitely. The camera is on its way back from the conversion (dhl says it should arrive on Monday), the UV filters are on their way from the US, the cheap IR filters from China, the lens and the helicoid are in my cupboard. The choice of camera was more or less arbitrary. I decided that I wanted that new EF-M 18-150 lens together with a new body, and the M6 looks like it finally does everything right that the old EOS M didn't. So now I had the old body left over, at basically no commercial value.

Yes, helicoid - I need to fill up the hole between the M42 mount of the lens and the flange at the camera somehow, and Amazon Germany sold a helicoid that fits in there nicely. Infinity focus and then a bit is possible, closeup is also fine. I've copied some test pictures from today to imgur: https://imgur.com/a/Cdc6r

P.S: Martin, thanks. I'll look up your flickr link.