UltravioletPhotography

Greetings from Austria

StephanN

Hello everyone,

My name is Stephan, I'm a part-time photographer based in Upper Austria. (The other part of my time I'm spending programming). If you're curious, you may find out more about me and my photography here: http://www.photo-chameleon.com/ , I apologize for most of it being in German, though.

I've tried my hand at IR-photography, as can be seen here: http://www.photo-cha...t_post=infrarot , and am now aiming to do some UV. This appears to be the most common route how people end up here :)

I've had an old Canon EOS 6D converted to full spectrum by Optic Makario in Germany, and also got the UV-filter they are offering (they have them in stock up to 77mm but apparently also can produce larger ones), together with a couple of IR ones. So far I am really happy with the quality of the conversion and the photos.

Prior to that I've done a little bit research and quickly ended up on this site, and subsequently got the two books you're recommending, by Davies and Prutchi, and read a lot in your threads and the sites which are linked here and there.

So far I've only begun initial testing with the Enna 35mm, quickly learning that it is really very, very difficult, actually bordering on the impossible, to do daylight UV-photograpy without a tripod. Therefore my first contributions here are rather boring landscapes with very high ISO, sorry about that. I'm still undecided which direction I will take with UV, probably I'll get a UV-torch and start on some flowers, and also do some more landscapes, and see where that leads me to.

Cheers,

Stephan

post-176-0-81506700-1514983783.jpg

post-176-0-35304500-1514983799.jpg

post-176-0-05233600-1514983813.jpg

Hello Stephan and welcome to UVP. It is nice to hear that you have found useful information here. :D

Look also into the "Stickies" for more information including some links to other good sites maintained by our members here.

Section Link: Indexes, Lists, Stickies and References

Yes, for sure, a tripod is necessary for UV work. I hate the things myself but have come to terms with using one for UV. The reward is getting good, sharp shots.

I'm always looking for contributions to the botanical section even if flowers are not a preferred subject. We can often help with the identifications.

It appears as though you have some kind of light leak in the lower corners of the UV photos? What do you think might have caused those light areas? Was the viewfinder window closed?

Hi Andrea,

thanks for your kind words.

Ops, the strange looking corners and borders are actually due to a vignette which I introduced in Lightroom :)

Cheers,

Stephan

Hi Stephan, welcome aboard!

Concerning your UV filter I think a 30% transmission is very low compared to other UV filters, no wonder why you need a tripod! I am also curious about the nature of this filter.

Maybe you should consider getting the Baader-U, it has around 80% transmission if I recall correctly. Using the baader-U coupled with the EL-Nikkor 80mm and at 6400 ISO I can easily shoot handheld.

True, a better filter is on my wish list. Baader-U or Schott DUG11 both look fine in theory, because I would like to rather get a single filter instead of a stack, if possible. For UV-photography in the studio I'll try it first with the one I've got, because there I'll have to use a tripod in any case.

I did a search on the internet for true UV-filters without IR-leakage, but it's not easy to find one with a larger diameter, as with landscape-photos (if I manage to find a UV-lens wider than 35mm) 2" won't really cut it, because those lenses will have filter threads of at least 72 mm in diameter. I did find a reference to the company UVROptics in the sticky list for filters, and I might check with them for larger diameters of the AndreaU.