• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

1st shots with D800M and the Baader

14 replies to this topic

#1 bobfriedman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:16

Using the D800 monochrome sensor conversion (no CFA or microlenses) with an accompanying BG-38 internal filter replacement while i was out photographing snowy owls, i decided to try the D800M out with an el-nkkor and the Baader on one of my friends..

Nikon D800M ,Nikon EL-Nikkor 105mm f/5.6
1/40s f/5.6 iso2500

Attached Images

• Attached Image: _DSC6360.jpg
  • Attached Image: _DSC6341.jpg

Edited by bobfriedman, 27 December 2017 - 17:45.

#2 JMC

• Members(+)
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:41

Very cool. I love my monochrome converted Eos 5DSR. I'm guessing you're also finding it's much more sensitive to UV now the Bayer filter as been removed.

#3 bobfriedman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 13:17

Now all i need is something worthwhile photographing in the UV other than faces that is... open to suggestions??

Edited by bobfriedman, 27 December 2017 - 14:16.

#4 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 14:51

Hi Bob - how about photographing some of those snowy owls in UV (I was hoping to see that when you mentioned it in your post above...).

#5 bobfriedman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 18:48

View PostMark, on 28 December 2017 - 14:51, said:

Hi Bob - how about photographing some of those snowy owls in UV (I was hoping to see that when you mentioned it in your post above...).

unfortunately i don't think my 600/4 nikkor would do very good in the UV and i don't have the right filter for it..

but in the visible.

Posted Image

#6 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 21:30

That is a fantastic animal - I would love to meet one up close (I've only ever been within thirty feet or so of one). Is this a wild owl or captive? Maybe somewhere where you could get close enough to use one of your UV capable lenses?

#7 bobfriedman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 21:50

View PostMark, on 28 December 2017 - 21:30, said:

That is a fantastic animal - I would love to meet one up close (I've only ever been within thirty feet or so of one). Is this a wild owl or captive? Maybe somewhere where you could get close enough to use one of your UV capable lenses?

this snowy is in the wild and i have been within 30ft.. as you can see. but i don't have the UV capable gear to photograph one of these birds in the UV.

#8 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 21:52

That is a gorgeous bird and it looks just like my mom when she is about to make a sarcastic remark.

#9 bobfriedman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 22:18

View PostAndy Perrin, on 28 December 2017 - 21:52, said:

That is a gorgeous bird and it looks just like my mom when she is about to make a sarcastic remark.

yeah.. looking at me like "really??"

#10 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 16:16

I really like the first photo, the UV portrait of your friend. A series of UV photos of your friends showing something of their character or personality would make for a nice UV portfolio of work, don't you think?

I've never seen a Snowy Owl for reals. It is sooooo pretty and fascinating.

I'm going to get Bjørn Birna to this post to mention a couple of teles good for UV. He's tried a lot of them. It would be a worthy capture to get a UV Snowy.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#11 bobfriedman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 21:58

i also shot an image of one of my female friends on the same day.. but her response to the shot was such that i will honor her wishes and not show anyone.. she does have a pretty extensive tattoo on her arm that she wouldn't mind me photographing in the UV.. so maybe something like that.

i have a lot of snowy owl shots..

Posted Image

#12 Cadmium

• Members(+)
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 23:52

Totally amazing owl shots. The first one is a really stunning image I think. The yellow and black eyes are rich.

#13 nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 13:38

Few long lenses would do well in UV. The Nikkor-Q 400/4.5 is an exception, but this optic is scarce and hard to get hold of, and will only work with one out of two dedicated focusing adapters.

Another lens worth trying out is a 500 or 1000 mm reflex optic. They tend to be slow and their UV response is not stellar, albeit the older ones are a step ahead of newer designs. The Russian 500/5.6 (cannot remember the maker right now) is faster and not bad for UV although it serves IR photography even better.
Bjørn Birna Rørslett

#14 bobfriedman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 13:46

thanx bjorn.. but i am not really sure that it is worth photographing snowies in UV.. they are hard enough to get in the visible!

#15 nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 15:33

I tend to agree -- long lens photography in UV is best reserved for stationary subjects and landscapes :D
Bjørn Birna Rørslett