UltravioletPhotography

1st shots with D800M and the Baader

bobfriedman

Using the D800 monochrome sensor conversion (no CFA or microlenses) with an accompanying BG-38 internal filter replacement while i was out photographing snowy owls, i decided to try the D800M out with an el-nkkor and the Baader on one of my friends..

Nikon D800M ,Nikon EL-Nikkor 105mm f/5.6

1/40s f/5.6 iso2500

post-16-0-89128900-1514366110.jpg

post-16-0-09344500-1514366171.jpg

Very cool. I love my monochrome converted Eos 5DSR. I'm guessing you're also finding it's much more sensitive to UV now the Bayer filter as been removed.

Hi Bob - how about photographing some of those snowy owls in UV (I was hoping to see that when you mentioned it in your post above...).

unfortunately i don't think my 600/4 nikkor would do very good in the UV and i don't have the right filter for it..

but in the visible.

http://www.pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/166763429/original.jpg

That is a fantastic animal - I would love to meet one up close (I've only ever been within thirty feet or so of one). Is this a wild owl or captive? Maybe somewhere where you could get close enough to use one of your UV capable lenses?

That is a fantastic animal - I would love to meet one up close (I've only ever been within thirty feet or so of one). Is this a wild owl or captive? Maybe somewhere where you could get close enough to use one of your UV capable lenses?

this snowy is in the wild and i have been within 30ft.. as you can see. but i don't have the UV capable gear to photograph one of these birds in the UV.

That is a gorgeous bird and it looks just like my mom when she is about to make a sarcastic remark.

yeah.. looking at me like "really??"

I really like the first photo, the UV portrait of your friend. A series of UV photos of your friends showing something of their character or personality would make for a nice UV portfolio of work, don't you think?

I've never seen a Snowy Owl for reals. It is sooooo pretty and fascinating.

I'm going to get Bjørn Birna to this post to mention a couple of teles good for UV. He's tried a lot of them. It would be a worthy capture to get a UV Snowy.

i also shot an image of one of my female friends on the same day.. but her response to the shot was such that i will honor her wishes and not show anyone.. she does have a pretty extensive tattoo on her arm that she wouldn't mind me photographing in the UV.. so maybe something like that.

i have a lot of snowy owl shots..

http://www.pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/162918666/original.jpg

Few long lenses would do well in UV. The Nikkor-Q 400/4.5 is an exception, but this optic is scarce and hard to get hold of, and will only work with one out of two dedicated focusing adapters.

Another lens worth trying out is a 500 or 1000 mm reflex optic. They tend to be slow and their UV response is not stellar, albeit the older ones are a step ahead of newer designs. The Russian 500/5.6 (cannot remember the maker right now) is faster and not bad for UV although it serves IR photography even better.

thanx bjorn.. but i am not really sure that it is worth photographing snowies in UV.. they are hard enough to get in the visible!