UltravioletPhotography

UV Light Source for Indoor Portraits

The Skin Doc

My name is Dr. A. Geronimo Jones. I am a General/Cosmetic Dermatologist living in the British Virgin Islands. I combine my passion for dermatology with my passion for photography. Presently I have UV modified Canon 5D Mark III DSLR camera. Free of charge I show patients the effects of UV sun damage and the benefits of using sun block with comparative photos. However I am limited to only using sunlight as my only UV source. I would like advice on possible UV light that I can use for indoor portraits. I treat many patients for sun damage and skin cancer. This would be an even more invaluable tool to help my patients with the ability to shoot indoors. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from anyone at your earliest convenience
Welcome to the site Geronimo. I use a modified Canon 600ex flash for my UV imaging for skin. The UV modified flashes let more UV through while suppressing the visible. This should give enough light for indoor portraits especially for demonstration purposes. Advanced Camera Services in the UK, and MaxMax in the US both do them, and would be able to comment on other suitable models.

Welcome Geronimo!

The previous post was correct, that several companies supply UV modified flashes. However, they are expensive, and may be beyond your budget (?)

I have successfully used DIY modified flash guns. I use two Metz CT45 hammerhead style flashes (available for around 40 - 50 GBP from eBay). I carefully* remove the UV absorbing plastic window from the front, which effectively converts it into a full spectrum light source. I have no way of testing the spectral output, but it works well for me for portraits. see below. I also have another two where I have inserted half of a 2" square Wood's Glass filter over the flash tube (it fits almost perfectly!)

*NB Take care whenever modifying electronic flash guns - the capacitors can store a large amount of potentially lethal electricity.

post-47-0-85128500-1513675226.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The Skin Doc

Welcome to the site Geronimo. I use a modified Canon 600ex flash for my UV imaging for skin. The UV modified flashes let more UV through while suppressing the visible. This should give enough light for indoor portraits especially for demonstration purposes. Advanced Camera Services in the UK, and MaxMax in the US both do them, and would be able to comment on other suitable models.

Thanks alot for this information. Can you please send me as photo you have taken with the modified Canon 600ex flash? It would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Geronimo