UltravioletPhotography

UV filters in Australia

Vagabond

Hello everyone!

As suggested by Bjorn, I'm posting in this section.

I am looking to buy UV filters in Australia and the only online source I could find so far is the Australian distributor of Baader http://www.extravision.com.au/u-filter-venus-1-25.html

As that filter may be a little off my budget, I would like to evaluate other options but I couldn't find any.

So, could anyone point me to online or physical stores that sell UV filters in Australia?

Thank you very much!!!

Hi,

I have no idea about Australian sources, sorry.

If eBay is a possible source for you there are some other options.

The Baader U you found is as far as I know one of the best with both good UV transmission and IR attenuation performance.

Good IR attenuation is very important as a full spectrum modified camera is very much more sensitive for IR, compared to UV!

Unfortunately filters for UV-photography are expensive.

To get a lower cost I think an assembled filter stack like the La La U from UVIROPTICS could be an option.

Search for La La U in eBay.

There are other alternatives, but I have no experience with those.

UVIROPTICS is run by a forum member here, Cadmium.

My impression when buying filters from them has always been positive and very professional.

A more flexible arrangement could be to combine two suitable filters, a UV pass filter and an IR blocking filter to get a filter stack.

Then you lose a little transmission from the two extra air to glass surfaces, but gain flexibility to have an option to do different combinations with other filters.

There are several possible combinations of filters that work well as UV only filters.

As I mainly use the Baader U for pure UV photos I have no strong opinion about what to choose for that purpose.

I think other members can guide you here.

The most efficient IR-blocker is the Schott S8612 with enough thickness. I would chose a S8612, 1.75mm or 2mm.

I mainly use my S8612, (2mm) stacked together with other filters for different bug-vision combinations with some weak visual content.

Hi,

I have no idea about Australian sources, sorry.

If eBay is a possible source for you there are some other options.

The Baader U you found is as far as I know one of the best with both good UV transmission and IR attenuation performance.

Good IR attenuation is very important as a full spectrum modified camera is very much more sensitive for IR, compared to UV!

Unfortunately filters for UV-photography are expensive.

To get a lower cost I think an assembled filter stack like the La La U from UVIROPTICS could be an option.

Search for La La U in eBay.

There are other alternatives, but I have no experience with those.

UVIROPTICS is run by a forum member here, Cadmium.

My impression when buying filters from them has always been positive and very professional.

A more flexible arrangement could be to combine two suitable filters, a UV pass filter and an IR blocking filter to get a filter stack.

Then you lose a little transmission from the two extra air to glass surfaces, but gain flexibility to have an option to do different combinations with other filters.

There are several possible combinations of filters that work well as UV only filters.

As I mainly use the Baader U for pure UV photos I have no strong opinion about what to choose for that purpose.

I think other members can guide you here.

The most efficient IR-blocker is the Schott S8612 with enough thickness. I would chose a S8612, 1.75mm or 2mm.

I mainly use my S8612, (2mm) stacked together with other filters for different bug-vision combinations with some weak visual content.

Hi UlfW!

Thanks for your detailed explanation, after posting this, Cadmium PMed me and offered his assistance about the filters (thanks again if you're reading this!!). And yep, shipments from the US sound way cheaper than I originally thought! So that is definitely a viable option.

I also thank DaveO for providing an alternative site for the Baader,

Cheers!!

Nicola

Glad to be of help.

Sometimes I think my messages are too wordy, when I try to help, passing information.

Guess it is because english isn't my native language.

Here come many more words and hopefully some useful information. ;-)

When deciding a future path for filters there is many factors to balance.

One is normally costs, another flexibility, a third is if only pure UV-photography is interesting or if related areas might be of interest.

Lower costs could be had if you can use smaller filters and possibly mount them behind the lens in an adapter or behind the rear lens element.

This strategy lead to more complex handling when changing filters and increased exposure of dust for the camera.

I'm interested in learning more about the different results from many filter combinations and change filters a lot.

I went for a 52mm filter thread for my filters involving UV as that dimension seams to work for most of my UV-capable lenses.

To make filter changing very efficient and simple I have invested in several magnetic Xume filter holders.

Highly recommended!

On eBay they can sometimes be found to reasonable prices.

If your camera is full-spectrum modified, I would also recommend you to consider getting at least one more filter beside the filters for UV-imaging.

That is a filter to make it possible to take pictures as a normal camera replacing the filter that was removed during the camera conversion.

The ideal type of filter might vary a bit depending on type of camera. Cadmium knows more about this.

For my modified Canon 60D a Schott BG38, 2mm seam ideal.

It cuts enough IR and give a similar color balancing function as the original internal sensor filter.

Other alternatives i tested cut away too much of the spectrum or give a very strange color balance.

I have tried to use my S8612, and also few dichroic UV/IR- cut filters.

None of them gave a pleasing usable result with pictures looking natural.

/Ulf