UltravioletPhotography

larger aperture lenses

funkysandman

I have that DO Industries lens and I can't really get infinity focus with that one, if I recall correctly. It is otherwise a good lens, and I've used it for close up work.

Andrea, Yes, but I was referring to the filter he is using ("...in this same way..."), or such a filter, that transmits lower than the typical 320nm.

In such a test comparison, the UV-Nikkor 'should' (perhaps) show a noted difference, not only in the spectrometer transmission curve, but also in a photo comparison.

However, I have never seen such a demonstration.

It would be interesting just how much different the curves are, and how much different the photos are, compared side by side.

oh la! I was babbling on there at length. Sorry!!

I'll see about getting a 330wb80 if I can figure out how to mount a 25mm filter without losing infinity focus on the UV-Nikkor or without damaging anything. I've simply hand-held a tiny filter over the front of that lens and it worked just fine, but it's not an ideal way to shoot.

Given that the camera sensor itself forces a "cut-in" on the left around 300nm, I still don't think there will be much difference between the UV-Nikkor or the EL-Nikkor 80/5.6 (old model) under this filter. But I'm always willing to be proved wrong !!! :lol:

ALL UV filters do, but I haven't observed much unless I force it by taking a photo under illumination with a lot of IR and very little UV, like halogen lighting. It doesn't generally need to be stacked with anything for use with sunshine.

Here's a test shot with the 330wb80 + el nikkor f/4 50mm about 1 sec exposure outside under cloudy conditions. Those are my eyeglasses looking like shades!

note: focusing was not that easy with the slow shutter speed and no helicoid

post-166-0-74424300-1511039698.jpg

Thanks for the video post, Sandy! And it's alwaays fun to have a face to go with the name.

Here's something funny --->>> I might be one of the two owner/admins for this website but I did NOT know that we could post a You tube video here!! So thank you, this is great news !!!!! And me feel so stooopid now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: At some point in the ancient past I set up a You Tube account I think. Might be fun to make some UV vids with my Lumix GH1.

Sooner or later you might want to test that 330/80 for any IR or Visible leakage? The specs I found looked good. But it's important to test a filter in practical terms. Minor leakages are certainly not a show-stopper for use of a particular filter but it is good to know whether you might encounter a problem.

Andrea, I’ve been using that filter for ages now, and no significant IR leakage. It does have the shiny filter issue with certain lenses though.

Here's something funny --->>> I might be one of the two owner/admins for this website but I did NOT know that we could post a You tube video here!! So thank you, this is great news !!!!! And me feel so stooopid now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: At some point in the ancient past I set up a You Tube account I think. Might be fun to make some UV vids with my Lumix GH1.

Yeah, how did you do that and will it work for a vimeo?