UltravioletPhotography

Greetings from Ottawa Canada

funkysandman

Hi, I'm new to uv photography but have done some work in IR including several camera modifications for increased sensitivity. I've been doing atrophotography for a couple of years and have no fear tearing into cameras ( and breaking a few) on the path to learning and improving my images. I'm currently collecting bits for a uv setup for some monochrome machine vision cameras i have. So many ideas for uv pics!

Thanks for adding me!

post-166-0-75720700-1509397210.jpg

Hi there and welcome to UltravioletPhotography.com !! I'm hoping you will enjoy the site and find useful information here.

Your astro photo is wonderful. B) Could we please know what we are seeing there? And what camera and other gear did you use to make it? I've wanted for ever so long to learn how to do some astrophotography, but it seems that I already have too many other interesting activities to attempt that one just now (which I know would need a big learning curve).

Funkysandman, may we please have your first name? Whenever someone might want to address you in a post, using "Funkysandman" is a bit tedious. Would it be OK to call you "Sandy" or "Funky"?

Thanks Andrea, I go by "Sandy" and I updated my profile.

The image I attached is a section of the Veil nebula which is a supernova remnant about 110 light-years across, 2100 light-years away.

I don't remember the exact integration time, but it was about 30x600sec exposures stacked.

I used a Canon 7D with the UV/IR cut filter replaced with a Baader UV/IR with more sensitivity in the IR range.

My telescope is a Celestron C-8 SCT f10 with a 0.63x focal reducer resulting in a focal length around 1290mm f/6.3.

The equatorial mount is a Celestron-AVX - tethered to a laptop.

Software used:

PHD2 guiding software

BYOS software for camera control

Deep Sky Stacker for calibrating/aligning/stacking raw images

Adobe PS for final processing

I also enjoy nature & wildlife photography and I have dedicated some cameras to that too.

I'm very impressed with the content on this site - the members seem to really know their stuff!

I've already started learning and hope to be able to contribute once I learn a bit.

-Sandy

A question about using the Baader UV/IR-Cut filter in the 7D -- did you have any difficulty cutting that to fit? It appears to be coated, but not "layered" in such a way as to cause any problem when cutting. Just curious.

Thank you for the nice list of astrophotography gear. I'm drooling over that Celestron C8. Wow!

I'm familiar with Deep Sky Stacker. That seems to be extensively used by astrophotographers.

Baader sells the filter (bcf 400) for this purpose already in the proper size for specific Canon models - no need to cut.

I also converted a Canon 1000d which was much easier, the 7D required special care as the sensor mount is on springs. To keep the image plane orthogonal you have to tighten the mounting screws exactly within spec.

Interesting! Did not know that about the Baader UV/IR-Cut. Nice though, given that Canon DSLRs seems to be most used for astrophotography.

BTW, we are brand agnostic here. Whatever works...... :D