UltravioletPhotography

Novel UV lenses using old lens body + new quartz elements?

SteveCampbell

It dawned on me that perhaps it's possible to take an old manual-focus lens, and replace the internal elements with quartz optics chosen according to designs produced using dbOptics or a similar program to compensate for material/wavelength differences in diffraction. This would certainly be a cheaper way to go about things than buying ultra-expensive dedicated UV lenses. If I recall, Klaus did something similar.

My technical knowledge is what limited by my medical / biochemistry background, so perhaps there are engineers here with more technical insight that might be able to comment on plausibility?

I had this thought a long time ago and it would be very difficult. Lens elements have to placed with fairly precise tolerances to build a GOOD lens. And taking apart an old lens can be frought with difficulties if you go all the way, like having all the aperture blades pop out. On top of that, things are frequently cemented together.

I was thinking along the lines of a triplet, or 4-element design without cemented elements. Perhaps a triplet is do-able, even if difficult ...

I had this thought a long time ago and it would be very difficult. Lens elements have to placed with fairly precise tolerances to build a GOOD lens. And taking apart an old lens can be frought with difficulties if you go all the way, like having all the aperture blades pop out. On top of that, things are frequently cemented together.