First MS set in my new place

Multispectral
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 00:37

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten settled into a new place, and finally unpacked my gear to shoot this multispectral set. As usual, I really don't know what this is - I happened upon it in the neighborhood and thought it might be a good subject to try out.

Here's a VIS reference shot from my phone:
Attached Image: 09-10-2017_17-38-20.jpg

I propped this sample in my stainless steel thermos, and starting the set with VIS I can see that the white LED I used to illuminate this has some weird color cast that throws the color off a bit:
Attached Image: 09-11-2017_19-12-02.jpg

The UV image was rewarding, with a clearly defined UV bullseye:
Attached Image: 09-11-2017_19-17-02.jpg

The UVIVF was a little disappointing, as I had hoped for a bit more color:
Attached Image: 09-11-2017_19-19-11.jpg

While this UVIIF shot isn't as dramatic as some others I've shot, its still my favorite kind of shot in these multispectral sets:
Attached Image: 09-11-2017_19-21-24.jpg

The IR shot wasn't all that colorful either, but it is interesting to see how the veins in the petals are dark in all of the shots:
Attached Image: 09-11-2017_19-25-13.jpg

With winter coming, and the impending seasonal floral scarcity, I'll be looking to shoot sets of live plants to see how their greenery may vary in multiple spectrums. I can't believe summer is practically over already!

Camera
- Nikon D750 [broadband] + 50 mm Nikon Series E lens + 20 mm extension tube
Lens filters
- UV: AndreaU-MKII
- VIS & UVIVF: EO 425 nm longpass + Baader UV/IR [stack]
- IR & UVIIF: Hoya R72
Illumination/Irradiation
- VIS: White LED bulb
- UV, UVIVF, UVIIF: 2 x [MTE-U303 + Hoya U340]
- IR: 40 W incandescent clear glass bulb
Exposures
- ISO320
- f16
- 0.5-15s, as needed

#2 Hornblende

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 16:08

Now now now I can identify this plant, it is a member of the geranium family!
Very nice pictures as usual :)

#3 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 16:53

Yes, Mark, you are good at this!!
And I'm so happy to see you making the UV-induced Infrared Photos. Have you made any of those with a higher cut-in IR filter?

That flower is indeed something in the Geranium genus, as Martin has noted. THe typical potted red or orange flowered plant we call "Geranium" in the US is really a Pelargonium. True Geraniums like you have photographed have a much simpler form. Hard to say what species this particular one is. So many cultivars are sold. And there is more than one wild type, too.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#4 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 23:36

@Andrea: I have tried making some UVIIF images with higher cut-on IR filters. So far I've found there is much less IR fluorescence above the ~720 nm range of the Hoya R72. So I suppose this IR fluorescence is chlorophyll fluorescence; which is right around that wavelength. This gives me an idea... I have a slightly lower cut-in IR filter (~680 nm I believe) which may capture even more of the IR fluorescence (if it is indeed what I suppose). I'll have to test that it sufficiently blocks any bleed from my UV source, and/or make a stack with it to ensure it works as intended. Then I'll try it on the next random subject I find :)