UltravioletPhotography

Acton Cemetery: Various Wavelengths

OlDoinyo

The historic Acton Cemetery contains the graves of a few notable personages, including that of the mother of the poet Yeats, and that of George Lee Temple, a pioneer of British aviation who was said to have been the first man to stand upside down on an airplane wing in Britain. On a damp, drizzly day in September, as airliner after airliner roared overhead on the way out of Heathrow to points various, it was instructive to reflect on things as they were a century ago, when aviation was something new and adventurous--and dangerous.

Temple's grave is marked by what looks like a Carrara angel, one of six in this immediate area of the graveyard (note the characteristic pose with the right arm upraised and the left grasping an object.) Here is the UV depiction, taken with the Sony A900 with the Steinheil Cassar-S 50mm lens set at f/16 and the Baader U2 filter. Display intent is BGR.

post-66-0-66408200-1504927423.jpg

Wind-driven rain droplets on the filter marred this image a bit, as can be seen here. There is little or no chromaticity. There is also no evidence of painted stars on the wings, as was seen in the example from North Carolina.

Placing a B+W 093 filter on the lens and working it up as a monochrome produces the next image. I tinted it for effect.

post-66-0-31574500-1504927709.jpg

The text on the base is most clearly brought out in this treatment, but the statue itself is somewhat lost against the background of trees. The headstones under the trees in the background are more prominent in this treatment.

Placing a Tiffen #12 filter on the lens and working it up as an IRG with Pixelbender produces yet another version:

post-66-0-72562000-1504928142.jpg

The red appearance of the stonework is presumably due to the fact that the biofilm encrustation on the stone is IR-bright. In some ways, I think this imaging choice worked the best.

I close with another IRG image from the shooting session, taken a few meters away but facing a different direction:

post-66-0-64730800-1504928387.jpg

Headstones are always such a good subject in any wavelength.

I'm enjoying the last foto for its diagonals. And trying to name the colors. "Red and pink" seems too plain for such a photographic outcome. Cerise and magenta? :)

• 9 months later...

Postscript--9 months later

This time the weather was clear and sunny, much more conducive to UV photography. Most of these were taken with the Sony A900, the Asahi 20mm lens at f/16, and a U360/S8612 filter. Display intent is BGR. Many of these had heavy perspective correction, so we do not see the lens's full FOV. I have also run into an issue with my camera's sensor being off-center, resulting in some collision with the edge of the image circle on the left side of the frame. I do not know how long it has been like this--it could have been a considerable time.

"A Day at the Mausoleum:"

post-66-0-49791600-1530846966.jpg

"A Question of Scale:"

post-66-0-53029400-1530847188.jpg

"All March Left:"

post-66-0-13020900-1530847244.jpg

"To Learning:"

post-66-0-33235400-1530847339.jpg

"In The Back Lot" (Asahi 35mm lens, Baader U2 filter:)

post-66-0-70335000-1530847460.jpg

In some of the images, the grass takes on a distinct hue. I used the stones as a white/grey reference, which for marble and the like seems to be a sound practice. I liked the counterpoint between the gravestones in the foreground and the large high-rise buildings beyond. The 35mm lens used in the last frame has deeper bandpass than the 20, so more chromaticity is evident.

Good images, Clark. And I am enjoying the titles too.

I like the 2nd one - it is very metaphorical (or whatever the correct terminology is). It's like the living & the dead are looking at each other through that tree barrier.

That's unusual about the camera sensor being off center. The converter must have shifted the assembly a bit? It can probably be fixed?