• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

Aronia snack?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 13:59

Back in May I happened upon what I believe is a wild Purple Chokecherry (Aronia prunifolia). And I liked the multispectral images it gave me (here: http://www.ultraviol...dpost__p__16147). From what information I've been able to find online for this, it seems that it is edible, albeit very, very sour (thus its common name). I'm tempted to try one - just for fun. Of course, I don't want to eat something that is actually poisonous, and since I'm not a botanist maybe [you] could help me decide if this would be a fun treat, or a deadly lapse in judgement (I'm being facetiously dramatic here).

On a recent visit I found this little shrub bearing many berries, though they only looked about half ripe, so I decided to wait a little longer:
Attached Image: 08-05-2017_11-07-36_halfripe.jpg

On my last visit (just last weekend) I found the berries were much darker/redder.:
Attached Image: 08-26-2017_12-16-33_ripe.jpg

Also, a few of the leaves were starting to turn bright orange (overview here, showing it growing out of a large crevice in a rock near the edge of a cliff). Perhaps this weekend would be the right time for some berry picking / experimental snacking?
Attached Image: 08-26-2017_12-16-41_overview.jpg

So, what do you think - should I give it a try?!

#2 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 17:43

Mark - the chokecherries I know about (from a looooong time ago) are not ripe until they are very dark
Perhaps look this up online? and whether seeds are edible?
I remember chokecherry jelly

(The dot key is now working on this old Macbook Air
cannot stop the sentences :lol: )
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#3 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:13

By the way, the pokeweed is ripe in Massachusetts now, Mark! Good time for creative IR photos that make use of the transparency.