UltravioletPhotography

Chelmsford and North Billerica, Massachusetts

Andy Perrin

I went for a walk from Littleton to North Billerica, passing through a number of towns along the route. There are a lot of historic houses and nice landscaping in Massachusetts, and I love to go on long walks through the countryside.

No visible shot for this one; my iPhone couldn't manage an adequate crop for the scene. I wonder what's up with that roof, though?!

1.75mm S8612 / 2mm UG11 EL Nikkor 80mm/5.6 F5.6 1/60" iso6400

post-94-0-08305900-1504151422.jpg

This is the Chelmsford Garrison House (1690), which wikipedia informs me was probably never a garrison and most likely dates to the early 18th century rather than the late 17th. But the Chelmsford Historical Society prefers their illusions!

1.75mm S8612 EL Nikkor 80mm/5.6 F16 10" iso100

post-94-0-63948800-1504151534.jpg

1.75mm S8612 / 2mm UG11 EL Nikkor 80mm/5.6 F16 10" iso100

post-94-0-99439900-1504151689.jpg

Very nicely seen and captured!

I especially like the third UV photo because the UV-dark tree looks so wonderful against the lighter house and the purple accents. This one is also finished very well in whatever converter/editor you use. And there's that green that comes out in UV landscape scenes.

Are those solar panels on the roof in the first shot?

Yes to the solar panels. I use Photo Ninja, Photoshop with the Neat Image plugin for denoising, then Smart Deblur for sharpening.

Good apps, Andy.

Have you worked with Photo Ninja's noise removal tool? It was formerly known as Noise Ninja and was highly regarded. That said, I'm not at all adept in its use. Most of the time I just ignore noise - just call it "grain" and say it belongs. :D But that is not a useful approach.

I know PN's tool, but it's inferior to Neat Image. Neat Image gives far more control over the noise. You can filter different frequencies, for example, like to JUST remove very fine grain, rather than larger blotches.

Just want to support/second Andy's regard to Neat Image. I used PN for some time before finding Neat Image, and found NI to be better in every comparison/challenge I tried (and I tried many!).

@Andy: I wonder if the UV blotching on the roof in your 1st image above is due to weathering - where the weathered shingles have lost their UV reflectance (or maybe its the other way around)?

Good to know about Neat Image - thanks!

Shingles are often slightly slightly different colors on purpose

When our roof was redone the shingles were like that

Some sort of architectural artistic reason I suppose