UltravioletPhotography

Hoya B-410 Red Blocker to Emulate EIR: Photo Ninja Tutorial

Andrea B.

Described below are Photo Ninja instructions for making a blue/red rendition of a raw photo made with a B-410 filter. I labeled this as an EIR result, but I do not really know if I have rendered the correct blue/red hues for an EIR photo! However, perhaps the Photo Ninja tricks can be useful to someone.4

Photo as shot with a Pentax K5-broadband + Asahi Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar + B-410 filter.

b410_20170810navesinkInletMtNJ_132128.jpg

Raw composite from Raw Digger showing color before application of white balance.

b410_20170810navesinkInletMtNJ_132128rawComp.jpg

Final Version.

b410_20170810navesinkInletMtNJ_132128pn.jpg

Open the file in Photo Ninja and check only the Demosaic File box.

01_demosaic.jpg

Goto Color Correction.

Use the white balance dropper to sample or drag over some area which should be white or neutral. Or otherwise apply an available white balance preset you might have created for a given filter.

(I also have a Pentax K5 color profile automatically applied during Color Correction which very gently tweaks converted camera colors towards the Color Checker Passport standard. You don't have to apply a color profile like this for what we are going to do.)

02_whiteBalance.jpg

Goto the Main Page and check the Black and White box to temporarily turn off all color.

03_turnOffColor.jpg

Goto Exposure and Detail.

• Photo Ninja automatically applies a Highlights correction slider when needed.
    Adjust that further if desired.
  • Use the Exposure Offset slider and/or Black slider to adjust white and/or black points, as needed.
  • Add some Illumination slider to brighten midtones if needed.
  • Give the photo some texture with the Detail slider set to between 8-15.
  • Open up dark areas for more detail, if desired, with the Shadows slider.
  • I would wait on using the Contrast slider adjustment until after the color changes have been made.
  • Apply the settings.

04_adjustTones_expDet.jpg

Goto Main Page and uncheck the Black and White box to restore global color.

05_turnOnColor.jpg

Goto Color Enhancement.

We are going to first determine which colors play a role in this photo. Then we are going to shift those colors in the direction of Red and Blue.

Turn off all color patches by clicking each patch and then moving its Saturation slider to -50.

06_turnOffAllColorPatches.jpg

Now go back and turn on the first Red color patch by moving its Saturation slider from -50 up to +50.

Do you see any Red color appear in the photo between 0 and 50? If so then, we will later adjust this color patch. Make a note of that and then turn the Red patch off again.

Repeat this color search on the Orange, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue and Magenta patches.

07_someRed.jpg

Here are my color results.

The photo contains mostly Orange and Blue with smaller amounts of Red and Cyan. (Actually, this is already somewhat obvious from the original shot.) So we are going to Hue Shift the Orange color patch towards Red and the Cyan color patch towards Blue. All four color patches may also get certain Saturation or Lightness slider adjustments.

Red, a small amount, as shown in the preceding screen shot.

Orange, yes, a lot.

08_yesOrange.jpg

Yellow, only a trace, and it's on the Orange side. I'm not going to shift this one.

09_noYellow.jpg

Green, no.

10_noGreen.jpg

Cyan, a small amount.

11_bittyCyan.jpg

Yes, much blue.

12_yesBlue.jpg

Magenta, no.

13_noMagenta.jpg

To begin adjusting the color patches, first restore the major Orange and Blue patches by resetting their Saturation sliders to 0.

14_restoreOrangeBluePatches.jpg

Click the restored Orange patch.

Move the Orange
Hue Shift
slider -30 towards Red. Red and Yellow are 60 degrees apart on the color wheel and Orange is halfway between the two. Now, the next two adjustments seen here on the Orange patch are subjective. Wanting a big bold red to develop, I increased the Orange
Saturation
slider some and decreased the
Lightness
slider until I liked what I saw.

15_orangeShiftSatDarken.jpg

Next, click the Red patch and restore its Saturation slider to +25 or more as desired.

The Red patch only offers a minor contribution to the overall color, so it should be adjusted after the nearby related major Orange patch. Of course, no
Hue Shift
is wanted on Red, but there wasn't much actual Red to start with so a
Saturation
slider increase seemed like it would be a useful addition to the nice Red that was shifted from the Orange patch. I also darkened the Red patch a bit with the
Lightness
slider.

16_redSatDarken.jpg

Onward to clicking the restored Blue patch.

The Cyan patch is actually next in line, but Cyan offers only a minor contribution to the overall color so it should be adjusted after the nearby related major Blue patch. Again no
Hue Shift
needed for Blue, but playing around subjectively with Blue's
Saturation
and
Lightness
sliders gave me what you see here.

17_blueSatDarken.jpg

Lastly, click the Cyan patch and restore its Saturation slider to +25 or more.

Move the Cyan
Hue Shift
slider +60 towards Blue. Cyan and blue are 60 degrees apart on the color wheel. Adjust the
Cyan Saturation
and
Lightness
sliders until you are happy.

18_cyanShiftSat.jpg

Apply all the Color Enhancement adjustments.

Goto Exposure and Detail and review the settings.

Sometimes after
Hue Shifts
and other color adjustments, some minor re-adjustments may be necessary for the various tone sliders.

This screen shot of the final result doesn't look nearly as good as the actual final result shown in the first post.
:rolleyes:

19_reviewExpDet.jpg

Andrea, Extremely well done tutorial. Detailed and works. I followed through with it, and makes my washed out shot look quite close to yours.

You really know that program well.

Thanks!

Also note that any set of Photo Ninja Color Enhancements can be saved as a preset under the Color Enhancement preset button. I have a Color Enhancement preset for turning off all color patches with one click, for example.

Some things to be aware of with these color patches:

• A color patch can only be hue shifted so far and no further.
  • Sometimes hue shifts don't quite work.
  • If you hue shift, say, Orange to Red and want to increase/decrease the new Red saturation,
    then you need to move the Orange saturation slider, not the Red one.
    Similarly, for the lightness/darkness slider.
  • To shift a color not quite matching existing color patches, relabel the closest color patch
    with your color's hue number and then try shifting.
    This requires color sampling in some other app because PN does not provide a color sampler.
  • The color space used for the color patches is not linear, and does not contain every color.
  • The appearance of a color patch does not match a fully saturated version of its hue number.