UltravioletPhotography

Greetings from Argentina!

Vagabond

Hello everyone!

My name is Nicola and I am a junior herpetologist currently working in Argentina!

I am an amateur macro photographer (just in the "visible" range of the spectrum) and lately I have been approaching UV photography for academic reasons, though I would like to include it in my free time one day (I don't have enough money at the moment).

I am currently looking for equipment to take UV pictures and I have read the guides available here in ultravioletphotography which have proven to be really helpful. I will be asking soon for further opinions, especially on UV sensible cameras.

Unfortunately, I am not permitted to share the pictures that I have taken so far (I used an unmodified Nikon D70 borrowed from an acquaintance to take pictures of my study species) as they formally belong to my laboratory. Nevertheless, in a while I will be able to take the equipment to the field and I will surely be posting some of the pictures.

I thank you all and well, talk to you very very soon :-)

Nicola

Hello Nicola, and Welcome to UVP! I'm happy to hear that our guides have been useful to you. Our members have made full spectrum conversions of every major camera brand, so you can choose almost any mirrorless or DSLR for conversion and make good use of it for UV photography. Use the UV Camera search tag to see posts about converted cameras.

We would certainly enjoy having some amphibian or reptile photos added here from your field trips. We only have 3 currently (frog, anole and gecko) in our UV Fauna section. This summer at our vacation house I regularly saw a nice garter snake (Thamnophis) but I could not even get a Visible photo of this guy -- he was just too quick to move away no matter how quietly I tried to sneak up on him (or her?). Perhaps he did not want any publicity?! :D

Thank you very much Andrea for the welcome and the guidance!

Would love to see some garter snakes one day, they're pretty famous in herpetology for the rather "messy" mating system they have ahah

I saw the marvelous UV Anole picture posted here! Unfortunately I reckon it will be much more problematic taking UV picture of my study species outside laboratory condition as it is a very shy one, but I will be trying nonetheless.

And though it is true that I can't share UV lab pictures, it didn't occur to me that I can always share the "visible" range ones: here's the female https://www.flickr.com/photos/56349611@N05/36545857926/in/dateposted-public/

and the male: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56349611@N05/31963428994/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

Hello Nicola, and Welcome to UVP! I'm happy to hear that our guides have been useful to you. Our members have made full spectrum conversions of every major camera brand, so you can choose almost any mirrorless or DSLR for conversion and make good use of it for UV photography. Use the UV Camera search tag to see posts about converted cameras.

We would certainly enjoy having some amphibian or reptile photos added here from your field trips. We only have 3 currently (frog, anole and gecko) in our UV Fauna section. This summer at our vacation house I regularly saw a nice garter snake (Thamnophis) but I could not even get a Visible photo of this guy -- he was just too quick to move away no matter how quietly I tried to sneak up on him (or her?). Perhaps he did not want any publicity?! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Not a particular fan of reptiles myself, but I found it reassuring others don't think the same :D Do share your observations with us on this site, in which we aim to collect documentation of the immense diversity of the "invisible" world.
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bjørn!! I find the "private" UV channel of communication of reptiles really fascinating and I hope I will have some interesting pictures to show you in the future.

Cheers!!

Nicola

Not a particular fan of reptiles myself, but I found it reassuring others don't think the same :D Do share your observations with us on this site, in which we aim to collect documentation of the immense diversity of the "invisible" world.