UltravioletPhotography

Film IR shots from archaeological sites in the UK

I used to enjoy shooting in IR in the film days, and was recently looking through some old images and found these two. Not sure on the gear used at the time, but probably an Eos 3. They were taken about 15 years ago.

The first is of Stonehenge. This was shot on Ektachrome EIR colour IR slide film, with an orange filter. This is a scan from the slide, and the colours have not been further altered. I didn't notice the person in the red jacket to the right of the henge until after I had got the slides back. It should detract from the image, but for some reason it makes me smile.

post-148-0-41799300-1500804853.jpg

The second is of a stone circle near a place called Burrator, which is in Dartmoor, Devon, UK. It was about a 2 mile walk from the nearest parking spot, and I went for a hike there after seeing the stone circle marked on one of the Ordnance Survey maps. This was shot on Kodak High Speed Infra red film, probably with a deep red filter (I'm thinking B+W 092, maybe).

post-148-0-24556500-1500804845.jpg

I liked IR on film and slide - while recently bought a little 350D which had been modified for IR to have a play with, it just doesn't hold the same appeal for me - there's something special about film images.....

I'm fascinated by the alien aspect of the Burrator photograph. It could be Mars - or Planet Z somewhere in deep space!
  • 1 year later...

Found another one of my Stonehenge pictures while going through some old photos. This time shot on Kodak High Speed IR, I'm guessing with either a deep red or proper IR filter. Not sure whether you still can, but you used to be able to get access before it opened in the morning if you wrote and asked for permission. You were given free reign to walk where you wanted, even inside the circle. This was from one of those mornings, just after the sun had come up.

post-148-0-74390500-1535278653.jpg

Fantastic Stonehenge pics and I love the other stone circle too. You emphasized the sun nicely in that last one, which seems fitting!