UltravioletPhotography

very informal flowers [trial and error]

Hello there! I have no clue what flowers I photographed by the side of the road. One is a cornflower I guess. Shot with Helios 44-M and Baader-U/Venus filter in bright sunlight.

Lightroom does not work properly in the adjustment of the whitebalance but I am still to tired (recovering from illness) to switch to other software (the learning curve is a bit to daunting right now...maybe in a few months). So I did a lot of trial and error in postproduction to get the colourscheme I desire. My original images were as purple/magenta as it gets.

post-153-0-76222200-1500370405.jpg

post-153-0-48678100-1500370411.jpg

post-153-0-43559300-1500370415.jpg

post-153-0-12782100-1500370420.jpg

post-153-0-00585300-1500370425.jpg

The first one is a cornflower Centaurea cyanus, correct.

The second one is Phacelia tanacetifolia (Hydrophyllaceae), frequently cultivated to enhance local honey production.

A quick fix in PS yielded this,

UV-_DSF6894-bewerkt-1ED.jpg

The corolla is highly UV reflective.

Andy Perrin
Laura, I found PhotoNinja to be really easy to pick up without knowing much of anything (i.e. no manual). While I'm sure to get fine control over color requires some reading/thought, the exposure controls all do what you'd expect, as does the color correction (white balance tool) -- you just click a "neutral" spot in the image and it does the rest.

Laura, I don't know your Fuji camera, but it is possible that you can perform an IR in-camera white balance measurement to save and reuse. Some digital cameras do this well, but others do not. Nikon, for example, is not good at either IR or UV in-camera WB measurements. We have to use the converter app for WB of Nikon files. Sony and Panasonic digital cameras are very good at this measurement. In the past both Bjørn and I had Fuji cameras (Well before the X line. And I think B. still has his Fuji.), and they were good at making WB measurements. So your X model probably will be able to do this. Look in your manual and read up on it.

That said, perfoming white balance on UV or IR false colours is strictly a matter of artistic taste. The only time we require a white balance step for posted fotos here on UVP is for botanical documentary photos. This is because we want to illustrate that UV floral signatures are uniform across whatever gear platform is in use (subject to a Bayer filter over the camera sensor and broadband filter over the lens).

You have definitely captured the UV signature of your floral specimens. And I like the soft depth of field and the sepia and blue tones.

Thanks for your comments and advice! The Fuji is not the bottleneck indeed...I can preset up to 3 or 4 whitebalances which is handy when you mess around with UV one day, and 4 different IR filters the next. The Fuji is perfectly able to setup the right whitebalance. The thing is that Lightroom does not manage/convert the Fuji RAW files very well. A known problem and most Fuji-X shooters turn to different software for that reason.

The whitebalances that I setup in-camera can not be reached within Lightroom, it's sliders do not go further 'to the left' (cooler colours that is).

The only way I can solve this is adjusting the colours in the processversion of adobe lightroom (which I did in these examples).

Bottomline: I will have to make that move to Photo Ninja or an alternative at one point (OR: wait until Adobe does their homework and offers a working conversion for Fuji Raw!)

Does Fuji provide any software which will preserve the in-camera white balance settings?