•  

Unidentified species (moth); multispectral set

Multispectral
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 18:10

I found this moth just hanging out at the bottom of a large paper bag. In this multispectral set the same kind of results are seen as in the last couple of moths I've photographed - where there is very little difference among the VIS, UV, and IR wavebands, while there is a marked difference in the UVIVF image. At least this time it seems a bit more logical, as the yellow fluorescent area near the head in the UVIVF image is a correspondingly UV dark area in the UV image (my assumption here is that the UV being absorbed is producing the yellow UVIVF).

From top-left, clockwise, are VIS, IR, UV, UVIVF:
Attached Image: 07-09-2017_21-07-48.jpg

Note that the chlorophyll fluorescence of the leave/substrate helps to serve as a fluorescence level reference/control (also, begrudgingly, and with little to no say by me in the matter, the ever-present lint serves this purpose as well).

I also liked this little guy's fur collar (or maybe it was a girl - I couldn't even identify the species, so I have no idea!).

Camera
- Nikon D750 [broadband] + 50 mm Nikon series E lens + 36 mm extension tube
Lens filters
- UV: Asahi ZRR0340
- VIS & UVIVF: EO 425 nm longpass + Baader UV/IR [stack]

- IR: EO 1K nm long-pass + Xnite-830 [stack]
Illumination/Irradiation
- VIS: Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash
- UV, UVIVF: UVGL-58 lamp @ 366 nm
- IR: 40 W clear glass incandescent bulb
Exposures
- ISO320 / f8 / 1/6-15s, as needed

Edited by Mark, 16 July 2017 - 18:14.

#2 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 19:36

It looks a bit like a male gypsy moth. The fur collar is probably the moth's antennas folded back?
Added Later: No, that is a fur collar! But where are mothy's antennas??

http://bugguide.net/node/view/21675
The Bugguide.net website is useful for identifying insects. I've linked the moth silhouette page. It's a good place to start. Click the Tussock moth link. Then re-click for different photos. It's a bit random what selection pops up. Eventually I saw the gypsy moth photo and found this: http://bugguide.net/node/view/33010
See also for lots of gypsy moth photos: http://bugguide.net/...r&search=Search
Your moth is a bit worn, but seems to be a gypsy moth.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#3 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 20:59

Wow - that's it! I can't believe I didn't know that - such a common moth. Well, now I know. And btw, this moth had already expired at the time I found him - probably why his antennae aren't up.

#4 DeerCrow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:48

fascinating, really...!!

I try to climb my learning curve very slow and deliberate, not skipping any steps etc etc...but this whole area of photography pushes my ADHD-buttons (I want it all and I want it NOW, haha!)