UltravioletPhotography

Summer Migration

Andrea B.

Lots of rain in May and June in New Jersey has provided scads of the lovely wild white Penstemons growing in what remains of the old cow pasture one block over from my house. There are still four kinds of clovers growing there too, all in bloom. And some vibrant Deptford Pinks. It was a good pasture. The new houses are being built rapidly now so only edges & scraps of the pasture will remain in the future. So it goes. I dug up one of the Penstemons to see if I could transplant it to my garden before it gets bulldozed.

Just at the peak of this early summer bloom, we are embarking on our annual trek from the soon-to-be hot & humid Jersey Shore area up to the rocky granite coasts of Maine to enjoy some cooler sea breezes and a hike or two and some mighty fine fish dinners. I'm in the throes of packing every lens and camera I own -- and then removing most of them. Gotta travel light for once! (Dream on.....) The filter collection has grown alarming large, but I want to try them all. For sure the ones I leave behind will be the ones I want to use when I get to Someplace Else.

The hand-off of the house, the cats and the garden to the house sitter will be mid-week. And then we'll be off. So my UVP coverage will be intermittent for a while until we are resettled. Until then, have a Happy Solstice B)!! (Scroll down to #7 for the UV Sun. Amazing!) And get out there and make some UV/IR photographs of your world to add to UVP's growing catalog of lovely and interesting scenes from an alternate wavelength.

Cheers -

Andrea B.