UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Fairbanks, Alaska

otoien

Hi, my name is Øivind Tøien and I am a Norwegian physiologist living in Fairbanks, Alaska, with lifelong interest in photography, especially in relation to the natural environment. I have been into near visible reflected IR photography since 2012 and have been checking in on this forum from time to time for several years, but did not feel that I could contribute enough to apply for membership. I very recently took the steps to explore UV-induced visual fluorescence with some help from members at NikonGear and information found on this site. So I thought it is time to take on an active role, although with no current plans to start out with reflected UV photography. I have been very impressed by images of members on this site and especially in the UVIVF section - so it was hard to resist not trying it for myself. Although I am a scientist my interests here are leaning more towards creative exploration as I am getting enough scientific challenges in my work.

This is among my very first results; UV pass filter for the UV LED flashlight has not arrived yet so no claims of pure fluorescence are made for these. A Nikon L-39 filter was used on the 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor lens. The flower at the top has light blue petals in visible light, the one on the bottom has blue petals.

2017-06-17-0056E-4664-md.jpg.67411b677460ab2a271e0add1e5a47bd.jpg

2017-06-17-0030E-4649-md.jpg.699cf00decbd481f0fd71f820f895922.jpg

(These were recently posted on Nikongear and is linked from my website; please bear over with me if I have not adapted to size guidelines of this forum yet)

Most welcome on board, Øivind. Nice to have a fellow Norwegian here, ex-pat or not :D

The size guidances are to prevent people posting larger than necessary images. The forum software resizes to a set max any way, so posting significantly larger photos is a waste of resources. We have a fixed disk space quota for members (30 MB at present, I think), but of course frequent posters might have their quotas expanded if need arises. Keep in mind although UVP is free for members, running the site is not for free. Andrea and I can live with the expense at the current level as we enjoy the "invisible light" and the photography of it so much.

Thanks Bjørn. Does images linked from external websites like my zenfolio site cause a similar load on the forum software by caching? I never post full size images except by accident, but with increasing display resolution these days I like to keep them a bit bigger in the forum specific folders on my zenfolio site than 800-1200 pixels so that those with high resolution displays can click up to bigger size in a new tab. (Of course for the systematic botanical section one likely want to keep images in this forum, but I am less likely to post there any time soon).
There probably is some form of caching going on. However, by its nature a cache is not persistent over time. Thus, link whatever kind of photos you want as far as I am concerned. If I recall correctly, the forum software will only accept ordinary image formats such as jpg, gif, or png. Thus trying to post RAW, TIF, or psd etc. should be thwarted. Or at least, that's what I hope :D My time for administrative chores on UVP is getting limited due to other tasks coming up at present anyway.

Hello, Øivind, and welcome to UVP !!

Having known you and your IR work on previous forums, I'm very happy to see you here to enjoy some UVIVF. Almost everyone who shoots UV also has IR filters, so we also have an IR section to encourage adventures outside the UV area.

Don't worry about the server space. These days servers don't charge by disk space, so UVP will be OK on that score. Suggested sizing guidelines are mostly to help display an image at its best within a typical browser framework so that the typical viewer can see it at its best. Post your Zenfolio photos and if we see anything amiss, we will let you know and figure out the remedy, OK?

Thanks Andrea, I really like the adventurous attitude on this site. I am having a blast at the UVIVF now. More about that later - too busy shooting today.