UltravioletPhotography

X-rite colorchecker Vis UV UVIVFL

I thought I would share some of the interminable test shots we all make, this time the excuse was that I had just got my D-750 back after a lab sensor clean and my Rayfact UV-Nikkor after a screw re-tighten. The equipment and settings are as I always use for my studio shots.

First Visible with Metz 15 MS flash, Baader UV/IR cut filter on camera.

post-28-0-12662800-1496830089.jpg

UV with Nissin Di866 flash (modified by removing plastic diffuser) and Baader U on camera

post-28-0-79064900-1496830127.jpg

UVIVFL illuminated by UV-LED with Baader U over LED and Baader UV/IR cut on camera

post-28-0-66688100-1496830148.jpg

My guess is that the UVIVFL color of the wood block support is due to fluorescence of the lignin or some such compound in the timber

Thanks for sharing. In the bottom image, there looks to be spotty blue highlights on the wood, white tile, and even the colour checker chart. What's causing that?

Bright blue specks or squiggles in a UVIVF photo are usually lint, fibers or dust -- all of which waste no time in leaping onto a UVIVF subject to get their photo taken. Sigh.

The tile might is probably scratched revealing a fluorescent substrate?

Dave, what's the date on your CC Passport? Mine seems a little more fluorescent than yours. My CCP is one of the "new" ones, after Nov 2014. The attached link is to a funny foto because the CCP was so horribly linted up that day. I take good care of it, really I do !!! It's that pesky static electricity.

Link: http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2011-color-checker-uviv-fluorescence/

I bought and first used my CC Passport in January 2015. The white tile is an uncalibrated Spectralon sample, probably needs a good wash and scrub. The serial number on the CC is MSCCPP-SN# 160499, the white balance on the visible shot was made in PN using a light source calibration from the CC in that shot. I always use the same WB for my fluorescence shots.

Thanks, Dave. We both have the new CC Passport.

I think I was was probably using stronger UV illumination in my fluorescent photo of the chart.