UltravioletPhotography

UV Pass Filter Sparticle Tests

Cadmium

Steve, you will have to remind me (us) about what are the UV-pass substrates of the LaLaU, LuvU and MoonU.

I think LuvU has U-360 substrate, yes?

The MoonU -- I've never heard of, but the name is def giving me chuckles. Butt why does the MoonU see the 380BP10 as such a strange colour?

To be fair, you would need to ask about substrates from other people also. LUV doesn't use U-360.

The Moon U is intended to slightly cross the 400nm blue edge.

Blue Moon !! I like it. I've always enjoyed the UV filters which pass a bit of blue. Like my AndreaU. Sometimes I finish those in purples & blues instead of the white-balanced look.

The BaaderU has UG11 under the dichroic layers.

The StraightEdgeU is dichroic and not-Schott.

The KolariU - never heard back from them.

But I don't really need to know your substrates. I was just being curious. :D

And it's not like we have a lot of substratery to choose from. Basically 330 or 340 or 360, Hoya version or Schott version. I tend to ignore the existence of ZBW versions because of all those leaks. Seems like a lot of coatings or bg glass would be needed for zbw glass.

Have you ever looked into using the Corning glass? Is it even used in filters? Somewhere on the site we have that correspondence chart between Hoya, Schott, Optima and Corning glass.

You know what is strange about our camera sensors and UV?? The following: the colours from right to left in the sparticle are blue, violet-blue, yellow, greenish-yellow, green. But the "natural" progression "should be": violet-blue, blue, green, greenish-yellow, yellow. The RGB transmission lines criss and cross each other so weirdly and cause this.

Well, it doesn't matter really because it's all false colour anyway.

It would be soooo nice to have a dedicated UV sensor with three nice big RGB transmission peaks evenly spaced across the 300-400 nm range. Of course this would require new dyes to replace the Bayer dyes.

Substratery, let me update the spell checker dictionary. ;-)

U-330 would not be used as a substrate for UV only stacks.

Aside from that, the list would basically be:

Schott UG1, and UG11, Hoya U-360, and U-340, and then other brands, and so called brands, and fake brands, and imitations, and...

What people get when they purchase "ZWB" (Optima) is not always Optima (not usually), there are many versions being copied of everything and every brand by various copycats, and being sold as other brands.

ZWB doesn't perform well at all compared to Schott and Hoya.

Well, it is indeed a little scarey out there in Filterland these days. I'm happy we have you and Reed and Mr. Baader (if there really is one?) to supply us with good filter options for UV and UVIVF photography. And I want to include places like Edmund/Omega/Asahi for the good, but mostly industrial filters.

It is the So-Called Brands and Fake Brands and Imitation Brands which we must be wary of. But sometimes it's hard to know what's what.

There is a big counterfeit going around now -- a "B+W UV Pro Premium" UV-C Sterilizer to kill mold in lenses. Cannot be found on the Schneider-Kreuznach (makes B+W products) website. Cannot be found at the legit retailers like B&H. The wretched thing is going for $350 on Ebay and Amazon. Geez! You can buy a UV-C sterilizer wand for $30 if your really really must have one. (Not recommended by me!!!!)