UltravioletPhotography

Asteraceae tree (scalesia) in the Galapagos island

Hornblende

Hornblende

Hi all :)

I was watching a documentary by David Attenborough about the galapagos island, and they talked about a plant from the Asteracea familly wich grows as tree! : Scalesia penduculata

It would be interesting to see how this peculiar Asteracea looks like in UV light!

Unfortunately I don't plan to go to the Galapagos islands for the moment, but if it happens count on me to shot this baby :)

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/21/1495495421-gal-1220-scalesia-pedunculata.jpg

picture from https://archipelgalapagos.wordpress.com/la-flore-de-larchipel/la-zone-des-scalesias/

Isn't that interesting! A daisy tree, sort of. The flower looks to be "discoid" - meaning it has no outer rays, only the small center florets.

I too would really love to see the Galapagos Islands. I wonder if special permissions would be required to photograph in UV?

I have been to the islands (albeit decades ago) and I have seen Scalesia. It must be far and away the largest member of its family! There are some good specimens on San Cristobal Island. I don't think anyone would care if you photograph in UV as opposed to any other spectral band, as long as you do nothing to bother the wildlife---the park is generally photographer-friendly, as photo-tourism is the main revenue stream supporting it.

You are asking for Scalesia in UV? No sweat, here it is :D

On occasions like this, having a searchable archive is advantageous ...

scalesia in UV 1406291913.jpg

Scalesia divisa, in UV

Wow, cool!

Hard to spot the anthers in this example, but the one I've spotted in the upper right does appear to be UV-black.

(And thanks OlDoinyo for the info about photographing in Galapagos.)