•  

Gateway Errors Today 15 May 2017

14 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 17:48

I'm not sure what is going on. Today (in the US) I have encountered a gateway error message several times when accessing UVP pages. It could be that there are some problems across the 'Net or with the service provider because of the recent malware attack. We'll just have to be patient until everything is cleaned up and reset. If I do find out anything relevant, I will let you know.

Cheers -
Andrea B.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#2 nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 17:51

Accessing UVP today (and yesterday) without any suchlike messages. Could be issues on the US networks perhaps?
Bjørn Birna Rørslett

#3 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 18:08

The malware hit worldwide. Europe apparently the hardest. No way to know at what point between me and the server things are going wrong without further analysis. I'll try this later after returning from the dentist to get a veneer glued back on.
Andrea G. Blum

#4 nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 19:05

Apparently my country escaped almost unharmed. Probably more luck than "deserved".
Bjørn Birna Rørslett

#5 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 21:36

Been surfing around here for little while now and only just got that gateway error once, a moment ago. Page refresh worked though, and I'm right back in.

#6 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:40

I just noticed that a post I made here yesterday (in this topic http://www.ultraviol...mium-purpureum/) has disappeared. May be related to the gateway errors? Just sharing in case it helps diagnose/other.

#7 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 15:00

You had a post disappear? Do you remember where it was in the Lamium topic?

I'm not sure that would happen because of Gateway errors. After you clicked Submit, did you wait to see the finished post appear and stabilize without any moving icons or anything (dots, boxes) ? If the posting was complete, then I think the only way it could disappear would be because of some database error. But I'm not totally sure.
Andrea G. Blum

#8 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 15:07

Just looked. The last database error we had was 25 April. A socket error (failure to connect). So the DB is not the problem.

If you leave the page after clicking Submit "Save Changes" or "Add Reply" and do not wait to see post completion -- a page redraw and all moving green/white boxes go away --- then the post might be lost.

There is another way to lose a post, but it is complicated to explain and also user error.

I'm not saying you made a user error, Mark. Only trying to run down the things that I know about.
Andrea G. Blum

#9 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 15:27

Here is the green box thing I'm referring to. The smaller white boxes "move" thru the icon while either the Editor is opening or while the Editor is closing after submitting the post.

Attached Images

• Attached Image: greenbox.jpg

Andrea G. Blum

#10 nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 16:40

Oh dear - just now I got the Gateway Error too :(
Bjørn Birna Rørslett

#11 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 18:29

Thing is, I don't know if this is coming from our server or if there is some glitch between the server and the member's ISP server.

Let's just say that if you are encountering a cluster of Gateway Errors, it cannot hurt to try the usual clean-ups:
  • clear caches
  • clear cookies
  • restart browser
  • reboot your router

Interestingly, I have not had any Gateway Errors yesterday or today. So this tells us (I think??) that it is not necessarily our server which is the problem. I'm still inclined towards the theory of a snarled internet due to the WannaCry malware. It takes some time to get everything completely cleaned up. Our server farm has had some outages in Dallas. While our particular server in Dallas was not out, it could have been put to use temporarily for traffic management purposes. So we encountered problems based on sharing contention. Just guessing, though.
Andrea G. Blum

#12 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 18:43

Did some digging. Now I'm thinking that the problem is indeeed from our server and that our server is overloaded. Certainly NOT by us. But on a shared server, overload from some other website affects everyone. IMHO, this represents poor management on Site5's part. The offending website should be given more resources.

Well, didn't I say that it was time to move elsewhere? Sigh. I gotta get that effort underway. I've been dreading it. :D
Andrea G. Blum

#13 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 18:48

Aaaannnnnddddd........I see an attempted "probe" in our Error log. Someone looking to see if we have Word Press which is a bit hackable. We don't have WP.
Andrea G. Blum

#14 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 00:45

@Andrea: I can't say for sure, because I didn't make it a point to watch my post and see that it posted. But I don't recall anything unusual when I made the post. Could have been something I did. Just an odd coincidence with the timing of the gateway errors. It hasn't happened to me on this site before now, so I just figured I share in case it helped to diagnose any potentially related issue.

#15 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 14:24

Thanks, Mark.

Today I have very slow response from the server. Sigh!

I have scheduled a call to another hosting service to find out how such a move is done.
Andrea G. Blum