•  

Pinophyta in VIS/IR/UV/UVIVF

Multispectral
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:08

While walking through the woods the other day, trying to relocate a wildflower I had photographed recently, my niece picked this from a pine tree and suggested I photograph it as well. And I was happy to oblige.

Coincidentally, this is from the pine tree seen in this photo from my other post (it is the tree directly behind the wildflowers I was photographing in the foreground, seen in the first/overview photo):
http://www.ultraviol...dpost__p__16170

For reference, here is the VIS image. At a glance I would have guessed what is seen here is a bunch of what would eventually become new pinecones, and maybe the start of a new branch in the middle. But, on several of the surrounding branches this very same structure, in advanced stages of development, would release, with a slight shake, a lot of "smoke" (as my niece called it - what was actually pollen). Now that I think of it, I should have taken a photo of that too. I really have to get into the habit of taking ancillary photos while on location.
Attached Image: 05-10-2017_19-53-00.jpg

I like the variation seen here - much nicer than the usual monotone IR produces in plant/flower photos.
Attached Image: 05-10-2017_19-56-18.jpg

The UV image also shows some slight variation in tone. There are also much less burned out highlights now that I'm using a diffused UV-pass filter on my UV LED sources; though I think a little more diffusion would do nicely.
Attached Image: 05-10-2017_19-44-13.jpg

The UVIVF image was actually surprising to me - I was not expecting such a bright showing. But then, I never know what to expect - and that's the greatest part of the fun in this (IMO).
Attached Image: 05-10-2017_19-49-44.jpg

Shooting summary:
Camera
- Nikon D750 [broadband] + 50 mm Nikon series E lens + 20 mm extension tube
Lens filters

- VIS & UVIVF: 425 nm longpass + GG435 longpass + Baader UV/IR [stack]
- UV: Asahi ZRR0340
- IR: Hoya R72

Illumination/Irradiation
- VIS: Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash

- UV, UVIVF: 2 x [MTE-U303 + U340]
- IR: 40 W incandescent bulb, clear glass
Exposures
- ISO320
- f16
- 0.625-10s (as needed)

#2 Hornblende

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:23

IR image looks like it is made out of soap, UV image looks like it is made out of steel!

#3 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 19:33

Yes, I was thinking similarly. Each image offers its own little surprises.

Mark, do you know this little mnemonic? Pine packet. Fir flat. Spruce square.
Pine needles occur in clusters. Fir needles are singletons & flat. Spruce needles are singletons & square in cross section. Helps kids learn some trees.

Then I used to know one for the different types of pines (red, white, etc), but I've forgotton it.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#4 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:42

I've never heard that mnemonic. I like it though - I'll try remember it on my next hike and see what I can find.

#5 Bill De Jager

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:28

Stunning shots, Mark!

This is a typical male cone cluster for a pine tree. The female cones are higher on the tree and usually out of close photographic reach. The part to the right is simply a continuation of the existing stem which is hosting the needles on the left and the male cones in the middle. Each of the many buds on the right will give rise to a bundle of needles as the new stem extension elongates. After a while a new, large bud will form on the end of the stem and that will contain the beginnings of next year's growth.