UltravioletPhotography

Multispectral Excavator Landscape

The excavator changes the landscape. :-/

A couple typical multispectral composites. D7000-UV/IR, Kuribayashi 35mm, BG38 (visual), Moon U (UV), RG780 (IR). Late afternoon sun.

Original Visual, UV, and IR shots (notice the missing "Hertz" emblem left of "DEERE" in the UV shot):

post-87-0-84374300-1493411627.jpg

Green + Red + IR (in B/G/R channels)

post-87-0-37185100-1493411651.jpg

UV + Green + IR (in B/G/R channels)

post-87-0-97737200-1493411687.jpg

So interesting to see something non-botanical in UV and other renditions.

I wonder what kind of paint it is that makes the Hertz square disappear in the UV photo?

My guess would be there is a clear coating on the decals absorbing UV to protect them from fading. This would make them look opaque in UV, blocking view of the underlying decal. Maybe. Also, I like how the UV + Green + IR version transforms the image to a late fall sort of appearance.
Notice also the bluish appearance of the black paint on the excavator arm in the UGI image. I have seen this effect in wideband images before, and it may be associated with particulate carbon. I have noticed it in asphalt road pavement, though the present image contains none of that; some of the roof shingles in the distance may manifest something similar, however.

I agree with Mark, that was my first thought also. Some sort of applied 'decal' or sticker, certainly not painted like the DEERE emblem.

It is still parked uphill from me, but I have not actually walked back up there to inspect it close up in person, but I have that on my list.

Other than that, I am wondering what people think about the two composites.

I will say this much, in this instance at least, there is only a subtle difference between a B/G/IR (not seen above) and the UV/G/IR image (seen above), this is often the case, but there is some little bit of difference.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks for all the comments!

Andrea B.

My general thoughts about RGB composites is that I am never sure what the false colors are telling us. :D

Your R(ir) + G(red) + B(green) seems to show a predominance of IR. I suppose this is not unexpected.

The R(ir) + G(green) + B(uv) has beautiful false colours.

Typically we would say that any special treatment of a photo must enhance the photographic subject, the photo composition, the light and other characteristics, rather than be the main purpose of the photo. Here on UVP we don't necessarily follow that precept because we like to investigate what these stacks look like. But to the outside world, I suspect our stacks are considered a little strange unless the photo is otherwise interesting.

If you showed the R(ir) + G(red) + B(green) to the proverbial man-on-the-street, then I imagine he would say "what's with the pink grass??" Given the answer that there were IR wavelengths being recorded, then he would say "what's IR??"

Context is important!! B)

Andy Perrin
) to the proverbial man-on-the-street, then I imagine he would say "what's with the pink grass??" Given the answer that there were IR wavelengths being recorded, then he would say "what's IR??"

Context is important!! B)

And I would grin, and say, "Glad you asked!" And give the short explanation. Educational opportunity!

The old two shot composite is pretty standard, visual shot and IR shot, using the blue and green from the visual and replacing the red channel with the IR,

or the more formal composite arranged like that of EIR film channels, replacing the visual blue channel with the green, and replacing the green with the red, and replacing the red with the IR.

These are quite common visual+IR composite formats, and they are the first multispectral stack tricks IR people usually learn other than channel swapping false color shots.

So nothing new, and I am pretty sure most IR people are familiar with this technique.

There is always a difference with people, some seem to lean toward the B/G/IR (and alternately the UV/G/IR) a more orange/yellow look, where others prefers the G/R/IR (more formal EIR shift), a pinker look.

The main thing I had going with these shots was that there was no wind, didn't think about it when I was shooting, but that always makes such composites better for me,

because with a wind there will be a lot of temporal color movement, like with clouds, grass, trees, leaves... There are a few llamas in the distance that moved a bit, and that is about all.

If temporal movement is what you are shooting for, then that is nice also, but in these shots I was not looking for that look.

Of course NASA uses multispectral composite images.

My images above are simple standard manual composites, but don't forget about TMSB, created by Ben Lincoln, which is automated and will pump out almost endless composite variations,

make sure you have the hard drive space when you run it.

It will make a lot of images, and you can pick out the ones you like.

https://www.beneatht...ace_Breaks.html

Trivial update: I walked up there and took a close look, and ALL of the lettering on the track hoe are stickers, even the DEERE and 85D, except the stenciled numbers which are paint.