UltravioletPhotography

Off to Italy

Andrea B.

I'll be in Italy for a couple of weeks, leaving the house, 2 house cats and 6 bird feeders in the good hands of our dear friend and house-sitter Kimberly. While I'm sure I will have internet connections everywhere I go -- after all the world is wirelessly "wired" now wherever we go -- I may not want to be online daily! However, please know that I'll catch up to all posts eventually. And of course Bjørn will be stopping by to keep an eye on things.

Someday I really must pack up the UV gear and photograph the Roman ruins in UV. That will require quite some planning ahead though. (Scheduling, etc. Might need some permits for tripods in some areas?) This trip is for family visits (my husband's cugini, cousins) and fun. So I'm taking only the very versatile D750 with a lightweight 24-85 kit lens for vacation snapshots and memory photos.

Arrivederci!

La luce è così bella, così clara.

Parco Villa Balestra, Roma, Italia

parcoVillaBalestra_20170424romaItalia_51336pn01.jpg

Andrea B.

Here you go -- some typical tourist shots!! Because I am being a typical tourist and enjoying all the sights and people. I have a 24-85 kit lens on my D750 because it is easy to sling that cross ways with the red Peak Design camera strap and walk all day making snapshots. (Not photographs!)

Foro Romano, Roma

The skies in Rome are this blue.

750_9667pnagb.jpg

Fiori Selvatici, Roma

So many red poppies! (Papaver rhoeas)

750_9716pn.jpg

The Wedding Cake, Roma

Monument to King Victor Emmanuel II.

750_9766pnagb.jpg

Mar Tirreno, Tor San Lorenzo

750_9866pn.jpg

Michael's Cousin Luisa and Her Friend, Tor San Lorenzo

We had coffee, tiramisu and gelato here.

The photo is a bit pumped(!), but the Tyrrhenian Sea is this green-blue colour. Just darker.

750_9901pn.jpg

Gatto Rotondo, Pratica Di Mare

A sleepy, happy, rather round cat.

gatto_20170430borgoPraticaDiMareItalia_51928.jpg

Red Shoe, Green Shoe on the Bus

750_979001agb.jpg

Red Poppies at the Grocery Store

Note the persistance of green life in this tiled parking area.

And wildflowers grow everywhere in Rome.

fioreCercaCarrefourGrocery_20170425romaItalia_51491pn.jpg

Too Much Graffitti - and Yet Wildflowers

Graffitti like many large cities. Wildflowers unlike most.

750_9597pnagbwf.jpg

Andy Perrin

The cat is my favorite. Internet tradition, I suppose.

I also love the poppy closeup (2nd poppy pic) and the wildflowers!

Nice flowers ... Not certain about the species identifications though, although the Malvaceae member (in the Graffiti image) should be easy to classify given the appropriate flora(s) at hand. It looks somewhat like Malva sylvestris, but there might be other candidates. The yellow flower is perhaps a Picris, but yellow composite flowers are a dime a dozen in any country. Again one needs the flora(s). The red poppy looks like Papaver argemone or P. dubium, as the capsules are long and narrow unlike the broad ones of P. rhoeas.
Andrea B.

Do these help?

The poppies with hairs perpendicular to stem (1, 3) and with black spot on petals (1, 2, 3) are P. rhoeas. Poppies in the Forum (2) are said to be P. rhoeas.

However, I have not keyed any of these so would not want to ID them with certainty. "-)

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_rhoeas

nearLuisa_20170502romaItalia_52670pn.jpg

poppiesIlForo_20170429romaItalia_51818pn.jpg

parcoVillaBalestra_fiore_20170424romaItalia_51348pn2.jpg

These look very 'rhoeas'-like, agree.

The black spots are not a reliable character, however. Many Papaver-species can have them on occasion.

Andrea B.
[Testing email response to new comment.]
Likewise. Can an e-mail reach Italy from Norway after crossing the Atlantic at least twice?