UltravioletPhotography

beer bottles in IR and UV

Andreas

I have taken UV, IR and visible images of green and brown beer bottles.

The bottles in middle are empty and outside bottles are full. All bottles absorbs light in the near infrared range comparable to the visible range. However in the UV-A range the green bottle is nearly transparent and the brown bottle is opaque.

Images were taken using a full spectrum converted Olympus E-PL1 camera with Soligor 35mm/3.5 lens at f8.0 .

The UV image was taken with Baader-U filter.

post-147-0-25207900-1491669406.jpg

The IR image was taken with Chinese 720nm filter.

post-147-0-17115200-1491669408.jpg

The Visible image was taken with Chinese UV IR cut filter.

post-147-0-30854900-1491669407.jpg

An interesting comparison of the two different types of glass. Thanks!

I wonder if UV is harmful to beer? Although I'm sure nobody stores their beer bottles in the sunlight. :lol:

Is there a brand label for that Chinese IR filter? Just curious.

The brand name of this Chinese IR filter is Zomei.

I think UV is most probably harmful to beer. Because every beer expert knows the myth that green bottles are bad and brown bottles are good.

Interesting is also a comparison of a brown plastic bottle with these glass bottles because plastic is transparent in the IR range, however at the moment I have no plastic bottle available.

oh la! Now you know that I don't drink a lot of beer because I didn't know about that green bottle thing!!! :D Although don't get me wrong, I certainly do enjoy a good beer. I just can't finish more than one.

Thx for the filter brand. I try to keep up with the various brands.

Wow very interesting.

I have been trying to see through full wine bottle using my 830nm IR filter but the glass they use now is very opaque to IR.

Light will cause beer to "skunk ", i.e. acquire a disagreeable odor and flavor. Even visible blue light can do this. Certain brands (e.g. Corona) sold in clear bottles are especially notorious for skunking on brightly lit store shelves.

Additionally I have taken images with two different plastic bottles. One transparent and one brown bottle. All bottles are empty.

Images were taken using a full spectrum converted Olympus E-PL1 camera with Soligor 35mm/3.5 lens at f8.0 .

The UV image was taken with Baader-U filter.

post-147-0-90052700-1492438380.jpg

The IR image was taken with Zomei 720nm filter.

post-147-0-82167100-1492438390.jpg

The Visible image was taken with Chinese UV IR cut filter.

post-147-0-43668900-1492438385.jpg