•  

New Server: update Thurs 18 May 2017

7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 13:10

Well, guys, here's the deal ----> I am upset with our server host Site5. I wrote a Support Ticket a full week ago requesting a certificate and help with https for our login page. Site5 has not responded yet to that Ticket. That is simply unacceptable service. Combined with their below average record for keeping their servers maintained and running, I have decided to shop for a new hosting service.

The lax service from Site5 began when the original Site5 was sold to a larger business. We had thought that eventually everything would settle down after the new service teams learned their way around. But this did not happen.

Part of the problem may also be that our website UVP is small with very low traffic? A large website like Flickr or the New York Times with a gazillion hits a day likely receives prompt attention from their server host. (Well, Flickr and NYT probably run their own servers, but the point is still well made.)

I will keep you all fully informed about the move to a new server farm. I'll be making a backup for storage on my laptop, so I do not expect to lose anything. I expect there will be a day, maybe more, of downtime. Then there will be a wait while the new server IPs associated with our domain name percolate through the DNS name servers across the web. Details on all this will be reported as I learn them from the new hosting service.

Summary:
  • Find new hosting service

• Schedule transition to new server

• Downtime during move

• Wait for DNS updates

• Back in business

Edit 5 Apr 2017 9:18 EDT: small change in terminology. service provider --> hosting service
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#2 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 13:20

OK, first step ---> find a new hosting service.
Hosting Advice: http://www.hostingadvice.com
PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com...806,2269,00.asp
Web Hosting Geeks: https://webhostinggeeks.com/

BTW, I will be looking for shared hosting. We are not large enough to really need a dedicated slice on a server even though that would be nice.

The conglomerate EIG owns Site5, HostGator, BlueHost and many others. I think I want to avoid EIG owned hosting services.
List of EIG owned hosting services found here: https://en.wikipedia...rnational_Group
Andrea G. Blum

#3 Cadmium

• Members(+)
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:07

Well, just saying, overall UVP runs very well and smooth for me. I know I don 't see it from your perspective, but I am quite happy and don't experience too many problems.
Just wanted you to know that all is pretty much fine on this end.

#4 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 706 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 14:23

Cadmium, as someone who is (ahem) on the site a lot, it does seem to be down a lot. But I think Andrea meant that her own support requests were going unanswered, and I agree that's especially not good. Why not just go elsewhere?

#5 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 15:59

I'm always happy to hear that members are not experiencing too many difficulties accessing UVP. :D

For a small website like UVP, hosting is usually done as a "shared service". That is, more than one website resides on the server and the server load is managed in such a way that no single website is allowed to hog all the server resources. But traffic on a given website varies, of course. So sometimes when some other website or sites have heavy traffic, we see a delay in serving pages here on UVP. Or occasionally get an error message. Managing the shared resources was another thing which I think Site5 was not doing well. It's standard stuff, not rocket science, so I don't know why Site5 was screwing that up. On another of our websites hosted by Site5, there was a full day the site was down due to filled semaphore file. This should never have happened.

And I do need better attention from the server host on those very rare occasions when I ask a question or need something. Also, I have my old website which I would like to bring into one hosting packing together with UVP.

I'm looking at the A2 Hosting which seems to get good reviews all around and offers lots of add-ons. But I'm taking my time with this. Nothing is really urgent.

BTW, if I add up all the expenses of a fast connection, server, backups and steady power supply (during thunderstorms and hurricanes on the US East Coast), then the only feasible set-up is to pay a hosting service. Totally cheaper in the long run. And so much less demanding of my time. Still it would be fun to set-up and run my own server. Maybe later when I'm "retired".
Andrea G. Blum

#6 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 13:28

I will wait to move to a new server host until returning from Italy. So sometime in May.
Andrea G. Blum

#7 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 15:41

Update Wednesday 17 May 2017

Today I'm looking at A2Hosting and InMotion Hosting as candidates for UltravioletPhotography.com's move to a new server. I will keep everyone fully updated here in this topic.

The primary side-effect which members will experience during a server move will be the delay while new DNS information propagates through the internet to reach all name servers. During this delay you might not not be able to reach the website.

I hope this server move will also clear up email notification delays.
Andrea G. Blum

#8 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 13:49

Nikongear has generously offered us space on their VPS. So I will add that to the list for consideration. We will have to check whether their contract permits a second website. I'm an Admin for NG, so this move would consolidate technical chores for me.
Andrea G. Blum