UltravioletPhotography

Dandelion: UV + Visual Overlay

Very nice.

Those Dandelion anthers thingies are so neat with their double curls.

This was a luminosity UV layer over the Visible layer?

Or a Vis colour layer over the UV?

(I think it turns out the same either way?)

Edit: correction of gender confusion!! :D :D :D

Those Dandelion anthers are so neat with their double curls.

Andrea, what you see are the styles. Wong gender :D They split into two to make the curls.

The Asteraceae (Daisy Family) have (usually) 5 stamens which coalesce to form an anther tube, through which the style pushes out then to split into two lobes after the passage is completed. Many dandelion microspecies are almost 100% female and don't produce much if any pollen at all. The pollinators must visit for other purposes perhaps seeking nectar? It is one of the many enigmas of Nature.

Interesting!

Andrea, I had it labeled as visual, but It might be a full spectrum shot instead of visual.

It is the UV shot set to overlay (layer 1), over the 'visual' shot set to normal (layer 0).

post-87-0-54928300-1490805016.jpg

post-87-0-66375700-1490805817.jpg

The shots were made with this 35mm Prinz enlarger lens. M42 mount threads.

This lens has no filter threads (it looks like it does, but those are not threads), so any filter will need to be attached some other way, however 25.5mm filters fit nicely and can be stacked with no vignetting.

post-87-0-05968300-1490806753.jpg

post-87-0-30617400-1490806769.jpg

post-87-0-34064900-1490806782.jpg

Bjørn: oh, woops! I fuzzed out on the Dandelion parts. Was not thinking! :lol:

Steve: So overlay works well for the paired UV/Vis stack too.

That is a very nice deconstruction of your enlarger lens! I'm quite fascinated with enlarger lens and their use in UV. So far all that I have tried seem to do reasonably well. Probably in the 365-400? or 375-400? nm range. And I've found the same general problem with fitting filters. That is, very often there is no way to fit a filter. :D

This lens transmits down to 325nm. Similar to Kuri 35mm and Noflexar.

You may also find it in Aico brand.

I can only use it for macro shots with a Nikon, but it would probably not have this limitation with other cameras.

Fantastic macro composite. And now, after reading a bit on wikipedia in addition to this thread, I know the difference between male and female flowers (and/or parts thereof).

Its always fun to learn :)

This lens transmits down to 325nm.

Cool! It's a good one.

Is there a way to put the filter on the back?

I suppose, if you have enough room for it, not with the Nikon though. I think it is easier to put them on the front.

I use 25.5mm filters, they fit right into the front, and you can tape them there if you want, even glue one on the front and use it for the lens threads.

I know this seem incredible, but even with these three 25.5mm filters stacked on the front of the lens there is no vignetting at all with my Nikon DX sensor camera bodies.

Even with an FX sensor camera body, with the three filter rings on the front of the lens, there is practically no vignetting, very hard to see any.

post-87-0-27166900-1491029102.jpg