UltravioletPhotography

Ficaria verna [Lesser Celandine]

Steven

Bouedec, S. (2017) Ficaria verna Huds. (Ranunculaceae) Lesser Celandine. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet, visible, infrared and UV+B+G light. http://www.ultraviol...sser-celandine/

Ry, Seine-Maritime, Normandy, France (Location)

08 March 2017

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Ranunculus ficaria L.

Common Names:

• Lesser Celandine
  • Fig-crowfoot
  • Fig Buttercup
  • Ficaire (French)
  • Eclairette (French)

Comment:

Ficara Verna is native from Europe where it inhabits riparian forests, river banks, and disturbed areas. Its range appears to be expanding rapidly. In addition to producing showy, yellow flowers in April-May, these versatile plants can sometimes form vegetative bulbils in the axils of the leaves.

This bright yellow flower shows a strong UV pattern.

Petals are shiny and reflective except at their base where UV is absorbed as well as the in the floral center.

Specimens found in large quantity close to a river named “Le Crevon” which flows through the village of Ry.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (2017) Ficaria verna. Fig-crowfoot, Lesser celandine. https://gobotany.new.../ficaria/verna/

2. Wikipedia (March 2017) Ficaria verna. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA. https://en.wikipedia...i/Ficaria_verna

Equipment [Nikon D3200-broadband + EL Nikkor 80mm f/5.6]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/640" @ ISO-800 with S8612(2.5mm) filter in sunlight]

post-140-0-15732400-1489877617.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 1/8" @ ISO-400 with Baader U filter in sunlight]

post-140-0-11638100-1489877712.jpg

Infrared Light [f/11 for 0.4" @ ISO-400 with Hoya R72 filter in sunlight]

post-140-0-79436800-1489877741.jpg

UV+Blue+Green [f/11 for 1/640" @ ISO-400 with S8612(2.5mm) + U-330(1.5mm) filters in sunlight]

post-140-0-93327600-1489877767.jpg

So, the spring has already arrived in your neck of the woods :D Still a month at least before the Lesser Celandine will appear here in Norway.

Your images appear to portray the same signature as previously documented (http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/235-anemone-nemorosa-wood-anemone-and-ranunculus-ficaria-lesser-celandine-comparison/). This is interesting because this taxon has been the subject of many attempts to split it into smaller entities. I never was convinced of the necessity to remove it from the Ranunculus genus in the first place either.

A small suggestion is to edit your initial post so as to make only Ranunculus ficaria a synonym. Common names are not synonyms to the scientific name.

Steven, these are exquisite! Especially the UV+Blue+Green (bee vision) and the UV shot too.

Well done!

PS: Your UV+B+G looks so good, that I just have to ask, what method do you use to white balance that?

Steven, congratulations on your first botanical post! We look forward to many more.

I made one minor edit by adding the link to this page.

Bjørn, we typically add any alternate common names to the Synonym list so that the flower may be searched for by those who may not know the scientific name. Naturally we cannot get all possibilities listed for those flowers having multiple common names. It is also important to see the common name of the flower in alternate languages where that might be known. It was at my suggestion that Steven added the common names of R. ficaria in French.

It is difficult to keep up with the scientific name changes, isn't it? I need to find our other R. ficaria and edit them for this name change. Then I must look in my files and change names there too.

Don't overdo the nomenclature changes. They tend to change quite frequently. We don't rewrite the history books nor should we alter existing texts.

Still I am not comfortable equating scientific synonyms with vernacular names. That is a very confusing approach. As long as the common names are listed on their own, they will be searchable, yes?

Hey yes, spring has finally arrived in Normandy, still a little bit stuck between raindrops but there !

It is a pleasure to share with you results of what I learned by browsing this fascinating forum that is UVP.

Steven, these are exquisite! Especially the UV+Blue+Green (bee vision) and the UV shot too.

Well done!

PS: Your UV+B+G looks so good, that I just have to ask, what method do you use to white balance that?

Thank you Cadmium,

my DSLR is a Nikon and as you know it cannot make a correct white balance in UV. I have to set the white balance while development of RAW files on the background using the dropper tool (I use Nikon Capture NX-D). Same method is used for UV+B+G shot as well as for the others : from memory reflection of the sun on a leaf in the case of this set.

As I understand it, there is a more academic way of doing this and to standardized whites but I still have to dig and to find a software (preferably free) that can store white balance profiles with shots done on a piece of PTFE.

As said before I am far from being a botanist. Although I have learned a lot in photography, I am much less at ease with botany which is a field where I have almost everything to learn ! I prefer to let administrators edit this presentation the better way it should be.

Bjørn, ok. I'll separate the list and relabel as Other Common Names. (See above). :)

"Synonym" as used in botany is a specialized meaning of that word. I had been using "synonym" in its more general sense.

Steven, Thank you for your very great explanation about your white balance. That is how I do it also, NX-D when I have to use one of my other cameras that is newer than my D7000.

Even though NX-D doesn't do a full frame marquee white balance like NX2 does with my D7000/D90, I can still use it to get great white balance.

I also have Photo Ninja, but I feel I can get better white balance from the Nikon software.

Again, I am very impressed by your photos.

Thank you Bjørn for information about Rawtherapee.

One click WB works very well for IR shots but not for UV. I just found Andrea's post explaining the "trick": how to play with the channel mixer of Rawtherapee to white balance UV shots.