UltravioletPhotography

A quick test of some of my (enlarger) lenses for UV (360nm)

Timber

I just did a quick test at home with some of the lenses I use for UV photography.

The setup was a black UV bulb (not sure of the wavelength but when I did some self-portraits with 2 of them on each side of my face I got a bit of sunburn) illuminating a lemon cut in half. The light was about 30cm from the lemons.

All photos are ISO 200 and 15 seconds exopsure and f5.6 (as the slowest lens in the test was f5.6) except the Diaplan which is 4 seconds exposure and f2.8 (as this one has fixed aperture) which is the same EV.

The camera is a Sony NEX-6 with Spectrosil 2000 Silica Gel and the filter stack was a U360 and a BG40, both 2mm.

The Nikon 80mm and 105mm are a bit blurred, because I don't have a proper filter holder for them (just can't get the step up ring) so I had to hold the filters front of the lens (which made it shake a bit).

My favourite is still the Meritar, and the two Dixons. For wide angle the little Soligor is a pretty decent performer IMHO, the only draw back it just barely filling the frame, so vignetting does occur sometimes.

I'd love to redo the test with a better "testchart" so if anyone has some ideas how to build one (like the "studio scene" at DPReview for example) from household items please let me know :D

As I've previously found the warmer/yellowish tones shows a bit better (deeper?) UV performance, but as of now I only have one filter stack so I can't really compare lenses in different wavelengths...

post-61-0-14600500-1489402116.jpg

• 4 weeks later...