UltravioletPhotography

Intro from New York City

MLP

Hello UVP! My name is Michel Leroy, I'm a portrait and advertising photographer in New York. He is a link to my commercial web site, www.michelleroyphoto.com.

I am most interested in UV People shots on the forum. Having said that I've been looking at a bunch of topics and some amazing UV photos. It's a world of new discoveries for me.

My initial interest in UV came from a client who reached out to me about a year ago with a request for images that show sun damaged skin. I didn't have anything to offer my client but it excited me to learn about an area of photography that I didn't know much about. My research lead me to UVP. Admittedly, my interest has grown from there. I look forward to being part of this group.

Cheers, Michel

Hello Michel and welcome to UVP.

If you use the search tags (below) you can find some portrait posts which list the equipment used in making the shots. That way you will get a better idea of what lens and what lighting to use for your UVP portrait work. We have some excellent work in the UV People section, also linked below. (I think I have all the UV Portraits in that section, but if not, then the Search Tag will turn them up.)

To better help you with your current exposure problems, we would need to know what lens you are using. Your converted Canon with its internal UV-pass filter should be up to the job. I don't recall the transmission of that Life Pixel UV-pass filter, but it should be ok. I think it passes a bit of violet light, but I don't consider that a particular problem for what you want to do. (The line between violet and ultraviolet is not rigidly fixed. Some say 390nm, some say 400nm.)

Most of us use a UV-flash for UV-illumination (even when in strong sunlight) because it is the easiest way to get a broad output. The Broncolor you rented is also very good, but heavy, heavy and also pricey. Any UV-torch outputs a narrower band of UV around 365nm, so I think that is probably not what you want for portraits. Although UV-torches are very useful for illuminating a subject for focusing. Some use Xenon mercury lamps like the Blak-Ray. (LINK: http://www.ultraviol...vf-photography/ )

Warning: No UV light should be shined in anyone's eyes else they might get retinal damage. UV and Your Eyes :: UV Safety Reference

Search Tag: UV Portrait

UV People Section: UV People

Search Tag: UV Lighting

Thanks Col. I wasn't paying attention there. Fingers get ahead of hands sometimes. :D

I've made the correction.

• 3 months later...