UltravioletPhotography

Lysimachia vulgaris [Yellow Loosestrife]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Lysimachia vulgaris L. (Primulaceae). Yellow Loosestrife. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ow-loosestrife/

Lysimachia vulgaris L.

NO: Vanlig fredløs; [vanleg] fredlaus

SE: Strandlysing; videört

DK: Almindelig Fredløs

FI: Ranta-Alpi

DE: Gewöhnlicher Gilbweiderich

EN: Yellow Loosestrife

A medium tall, up to 2 m high, plant native to Europe and Asia, L. vulgaris is a common plant inhabiting damp meadows, moist open rich deciduous or riparian forests, and similar habitats. It can grow in abundance but unlike its close relative L. punctata, it lacks the efficient vegetative dispersal of the latter so is not considered a problem plant. Flowering takes place in mid summer, July to mid August. The yellow flowers are borne in terminal inflorescences and are frequented by many kinds of pollinators, small and large.

This species has been used for making yellow (plant) or brown (root) fabric dyes.

Plants collected and photographed near Risør, Norway 5 July 2011.

LYSI_VUL_I1107057355_VIS.jpg

Image reference: LYSI_VUL_I1107057355_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D3S, Voigtländer 125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar lens, daylight.

LYSI_VUL_I1107052863_UV.jpg

Image reference: LYSI_VUL_I1107052863_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The fused stamens are densely covered with large papillar cells or glandular hairs. Unlike what is seen for L. punctata, the centre of the flower shows no obvious darkened area under UV illumination. The corolla is dotted with glands like L. punctata and similar to that species these glands are quite UV-dark.

The bracts are lined with reddish glands in visible light and this is a key character differentiating L. vulgaris from L. punctata. However, under UV light there is hardly any trace of these glands.

[Published 25 Apr 2013]