UltravioletPhotography

El Nikkor 80mm lens - thread size?

Adrian

I finally just managed to acquire a nice old 80mm El Nikkor (chrome body) The rear thread size seems to be around 32mm, though the lens sticky on this forum says it should be M39. Am I missing a bit or do I need an adapter?
The back looks different from mine! Front looks identical. I think someone must have done surgery on the lens? Or perhaps there are different versions?

It appears that the rearmost chrome ring has been removed but I cannot be certain as I have never removed mine.

post-24-0-76587900-1487180911.jpg

According to this diagram the underlying thread is 32.5mm (p=0.5mm)

There is a chrome ring at the back that is missing. I got my first one the same way (was quite cheap)... then luckily found one with bad fungus on lenses for a few quid with the ring.

This is why we have the Lens Sticky.

Click link. Scroll down to EL-Nikkors.

Choose old EL 80/5.6 or new EL 80/5.6 to find front filter thread and rear mount type and flange focal distance.

http://www.ultraviol...capable-lenses/

We don't have complete info on every lens. So if you know any missing data, please tell me so I can add it.

Now, should I add data for the case when a ring is missing??

Edit: I didn't get this comment correct the first time.

From Dr Klaus Schmitt's website.

P.S.: the 80mm EL-Nikkor (the older, chrome black full metal type) has an adapter ring on its base with outer M39x26tpi screw mount (Leica enlarger mount). Beneath it is a M25 thread for older #00 shutters. Company Schneider Optics offers adapter rings, if that one should be missing (oder code 92-013251).

But here we are talking about at M32.5 thread..

Custom Photo tools has various adapters for the 32.5mm enlarger lens thread.

They have an aluminum 32.5mm to M39 enlarger lens mount adapter ring for 8.5 Euro.

There is also a 32.5mm to M42 enlarger lens mount adapter but it is 42mm x 0.5mm T-mount not the standard 42mm x 0.75mm lens thread.

Just measured mine after removing the metal ring. It is definitely 32mm+ without the ring. So m32.5 is correct. I don't have a way to confirm the pitch. But John's diagram has to be correct.

So that 32.5 must be some kind of standard for enlargers.....

I'm going to add this to the stick.

Many thanks to everyone for their help with this. It seems, from the Nikon article on Enrico Savazzi's site, that the lens was supplied as a Leica screw fitting (M39) but had a removal adapter which enabled the fitting onto other types of enlarger (e.g. Durst, Omega) with a 32.5mm. thread.

For reference, SRB Photographic in the UK has a 32.5mm to M39 adaptor for £16.00

enricosavazzi

From Dr Klaus Schmitt's website.

But here we are talking about at M32.5 thread..

I have never seen an El-Nikkor 80 mm (older style) with an M25 thread. All those I have seen do have the M32.5 thread, and most come with the M32.5 to M39 adapter - but not all, unfortunately.

Edit - The 135 mm old style has a similar chrome-plated adapter (albeit with different diameters, 39mm and 45mm). The 105 mm old style has the same adapter as the 80 mm old style.