UltravioletPhotography

Cameras with anti-aliasing (AA) filter removed

Cadmium

The a7R was a MaxMax conversion. It focuses just fine.

It is easiest to focus the a7R in UV by using Live View. Focus peaking works sometimes in UV but may not work if the subject is a UV-absorbing flower shot close-up.

I would like to add that the Nikon D810 has better Live View than the Sony a7R. And the D750 and D600 seem just a bit easier to focus in Live View than does the Sony a7R. This is a personal observation and may be dependent upon my personal "ergonomics" and such.

Steve, I think that a lot of what you are seeing might just be the difference between 16 and 24 megapixels when viewed on the monitor combined with some motion blur due to hand-holding.

The classic test is to put the D7200 on tripod, use MirrorUp, focus via LiveView and shoot a brick wall (or a test chart). Then shoot the exact same scene hand-held. Make several photos with each set-up. Look at the two photo sets and determine which ones are sharper. I'd use f/8 for this which is not stopped down enough to have serious diffraction. Try this in both Visible light and in UV light.

The motion blur in the Live View combined with the noise makes it really hard to focus sometimes. Even when there is not much noise in the actual photos, the Live View is noisy.
Olympus E-M1 (Mk 1 and Mk 2) and E-M5 (Mk 2 only) do not have AA filter. I an E-M1 converted to full spectrum by DSLR AstroTEC and I have not noticed problems with focusing using EVF, live view on camera, live view on a tablet via WiFi, or live view on a monitor attached to my laptop with the camera tethered via USB. Enrico mentioned in another thread that the Sigma 19 mm f/2.8 MFT objective is reasonably good for UV and that it can even auto focus. I bought one and it arrived today at noon, and as we had a clear sky, I was able to test it with a Baader U-filter. Auto exposure also works nicely.

might be wrong but I heard that the hotfilter and the AA filter are sandwiched together in most cameras and once you remove the hotfilter you remove the AA as well. I think that's the case with the Sony NEX 6 I have. How can I test it?

That is true. Find a chicken, pluck some feathers from it and take pictures of these feathers in UV – and you will see the "best" moire there is....

post-29-0-05224700-1485798069.jpg