UltravioletPhotography

HELP, my Teflon is trapped!

Andy Perrin

I don't have any idea what happened, but the jewel case that my Teflon came in has effectively fused together. I can't open it, and I'd rather not break it if it can be avoided. Any suggestions? Would getting it wet hurt anything? I thought about trying hot water.

post-94-0-28352800-1483840670.jpg

(Separately: I seem to have used up all my available storage space for images. Can we get more or do I have to delete something?)

Getting teflon wet is not a problem at all. You could try immersing it in ice water (or putting it in the freezer), to make the jewel case contract; which should then allow the teflon to slide out.
I was less worried about the Teflon itself, and more worried about whatever was used to glue it in place? But I'll try the freezer thing first.

In the orientation you show, that is kind of the bottom, which says 'Japan' on it (maybe?).

So in that orientation, the separation is at the top.

Making sure you are twisting the 'Japan' (top, in this shot) CCW, and the bottom CW, to open.

You could also try a knife, slipped into the separation, to try to pop it loose.

I have never got mine stuck before. They just twist open, but I just now tried to get one stuck, I couldn't didn't get it stuck enough to not open with a twist,

but I tried a knife, and popped it open without twisting, so maybe that would work for you?

The Teflon is held in place with the retention ring, however, try to keep it clean, it is textured, so it can pick up dirt.

I suppose you could even use a couple pair of channel lock pliers to twist it open if need be (maybe wrap it with a cloth while doing that). Just make sure you are turning it the right direction. :-)

Freezer was no-go, but running under hot water worked! Thanks, guys. My best guess is that I got some bug spray on it awhile ago and that made the plastic get a little sticky (partially dissolved...). Probably it fused together.

Cadmium, the Teflon is perfectly clean, what you're seeing above is the effect of the bug spray on the case.

(Separately: I seem to have used up all my available storage space for images. Can we get more or do I have to delete something?)

You have been upgraded to the Member(+) group to allow more photos to be posted on UVP. On a general note to all members: storage space is at a premium here and thus think twice before posting photos.

Thanks, nfoto. I am pretty sparing about my photo posting, and I always compress to JPEG quality 6. It's just that it's been a year, and I'm a relatively frequent poster by the standards of this quiet group.

No problem, Andy.

I'm looking into the issue of storage space. I'll upgrade the site if we need to.

I checked our server account. We are ok. No need to worry about server space at this time.

If we somehow ever get more than 10,000 visitors per month, then we might encounter some problems. But they would be solved by a simple and inexpensive upgrade to a higher-traffic account.