• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

Kiwi x UV/UVIVF/VIS/IR

7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

• Members(+)
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:06

I may just go through the entire produce section, eventually - both for sustenance and multispectral experiments. This kiwifruit only spent a few minutes in front of my lens before moving on to my belly.

For reference, the bisected kiwifruit in VIS:
Attached Image: 12-16-2016_19-22-05.jpg
f11/ISO320/1s

Under IR some details are lost (boundary of the skin/flesh, obscured seeds):
Attached Image: 12-16-2016_19-32-11.jpg
f11/ISO250/1s

Under UV the outer skin is dark, but the center of the fruit remains quite light/reflective:
Attached Image: 12-16-2016_19-27-44.jpg
f11/ISO250/5s

Still under UV, but viewing the visible fluorescence instead, I was pleasantly surprised to see such a dramatic and colorful result:
Attached Image: 12-16-2016_19-24-26.jpg
f11/ISO250/8s

Camera
- Nikon D750 [broadband], 78 mm UV quartz lens, 20 mm extension tube

Lens filters
- VIS & UVIVF: GG430 / Kolarivision IR-block filter stack
- UV: Asahi ZRR0340 UV-pass filter
- IR: Xnite715 / Hoya R72 IR-pass filter stack

Illumination/Irradiation
- VIS & IR: Alfon 5575-CAN bare-bulb flash
- UV & UVIVF: MTE U303 torch + AndreaU MK-II

#2 Bill De Jager

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:48

Well done! I was expecting a bird. ;-) Maybe somebody in NZ can find out what those look like in UV.

Edited by Bill De Jager, 17 December 2016 - 05:27.

#3 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:10

Mark, cool! They are also nice if sliced in the perpendicular direction! I did one awhile ago.

#4 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 20:51

oh WOW !!!! That fluorescent foto is fantastic !!!!

Keep on grocery shoppin', OK?? :D :D :D

You've got me fascinated with your lovely fruit photography. I may join you and try one or two myself.

I looked up Kiwi fruit. It's not clear what the species would be but probably this is Actinidia deliciosa??
The way we might formally label this one is Actinidia cf. deliciosa C.F.Liang & A.R.Ferguson where the "cf." stands for confer or compare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cf.
This means that if someone should compare your Kiwifruit to an example of A. deliciosa, he would probably find they are the same or very similar.
Naturally we would enjoy having the Kiwifruit posted formally when you have a spare minute or two.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#5 Øivind Tøien

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 22:50

Yes, the UVIVF version is really fascinating, I am glad another thread referenced this.
Øivind

#6 JCDowdy

JCDowdy

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 00:35

Stop, you are making me hungry!

#7 Cadmium

• Members(+)
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:01

He always does that. :)

#8 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 16:01

Duda, Mark (2018) Multispectral Edibles: Kiwi Fruit. One set from a series of emitted and reflected light photographs of fruits, vegetables and other edibles made under visible, infrared and ultraviolet illumination. LINK.

Maybe "fluorescence photographs" is the proper term instead of "emitted light photographs" ? Not many would understand what "emitted light" is but everyone has heard of fluorescence even if they don't understand it.
(You wouldn't say "fluorescent photographs" because it's not the photograph which is fluorescing.)

Duda, Mark (2018) Multispectral Edibles: Recent Advances in Tomato Imaging Technology
One set from a photographic series investigating the fluorescence and reflected light from fruits, vegetables and other edibles. Photographs made under visible, infrared and ultraviolet light. LINK.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.