UltravioletPhotography

Staeble-Lineogon 35mm f/3.5

Bill De Jager

Bill De Jager

I just received a Staebel-Lineogon 35mm f/3.5 lens purchased on the auction site. This lens has the same optics as the Novoflex 35/3.5, but in an L39 mount and far cheaper. The glass looks really good (lots of dust, but no scratches or films) and the focus works well. The filter ring is dinged which was disclosed by the seller; I can always mount this lens on an M42 filter drawer so there is no need to have a filter on the front of the lens. The set of M42 extension rings I bought years and years ago, which I had long since decided was a useless purchase, will come in handy after all.

The aperture ring didn't seem to work at first, until I found that one needs to pull it out strongly and then turn. Even then it doesn't engage easily but it does work. So this is another less-than-ideal auction site lens, but I think I'll keep it and see how it does in UV. I may not get to it until after I retire in spring.

As an aside, I bought a couple of K-ring sets a few months ago, figuring that two was the absolute minimum I'd want to have. Subsequently I attacked my huge backlog of poorly organized photography equipment and discovered a third set I'd purchased years ago. Rather than seeing this as a waste I was pleased. Let's hear it for adapter rings!

The same optics as the Noflexar? Does this mean that it pulls apart (twice) for close work? I've always liked the Noflexar. It's such a little workhorse.

Sounds like the lens could use a bit of maintenance? If you like the lens, it might be worth sending it in to KEH (or elsewhere) for a clean & lube.

One can NEVER have enough of: step-rings, extension tubes, mount adapters or lens caps. B)

These are nice little lenses, I have a couple in Paxette mount. They do not have the macro extension feature of the Noflexar.

Most of them you see on eBay are in Paxette mount M39x1mm with a 44mm register depth. I have also seen some online that are additionally marked an " -L- " which I suspect may be a Leica thread mount 39mm x 26tpi with a shorter 28.8 register depth. The Leica versions are a good deal more costly so beware of Paxette lenses being described as Leica. There are Paxette to Leica extensions both vintage and new so one can easily mount to most mirrorless bodies with a ubiquitous L39-YourMount adapter.

Lens transmittance according to Dr KDS is on par with Noflexar who are reported to have subcontracted components from Stable Staeble. (spell checker got me...)

And so is it spelled Stable, Staebel or Staeble? I see all three here. :D :D :D

Gotta go look this one up.

Seems to be "Staeble".

I found it here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Well, not on that page. Rather on that website.

Does anyone know anything about camera-wiki.org?? Is this a reputable site? They do seem to try to list references. If I can find out more about the site, I might use links from it in some of the Lens Sticky references.